2 Masters before PhD - Astrophysics related

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice about their plan to pursue a PhD in astrophysics after obtaining two master's degrees in physics and math. They are concerned about their age (27 years old) and if this could potentially hurt their chances of getting accepted into a PhD program. However, others reassure them that their age and multiple degrees will not be a disadvantage and that they are well prepared for the program.
AstroChick
Hi Everyone.

I thought I'd pose this question here since I've gotten much conflicting advice about this from pretty much everywhere.

My goal is to get a PhD in astrophysics. I am interested in both theoretical and observational cosmology. My undergrad degree is in physics. The reason why I did not go straight into a PhD program after my Bachelors is because of my physics gre score. My school did not offer many of the classes covered on the exam, plus I was nervous, etc... So I completed a Masters degree in physics at a local, but well known private school. I worked as a TA during that time, and my grades are pretty decent I guess (7 A's, 2 B's, and 1C). I learned a lot there, but I really didn't enjoy it (my research interests didn't fit the department, and the professors weren't really all that friendly).

An opportunity came up at my undergrad school to go into an NSF sponsored fellowship program for a Masters degree in Math. So my former advisor told me about it, I applied for it, and I was accepted. So now I am working on my second Masters degree in math, I have a two year NSF fellowship, and I am doing really well there. And I am learning a lot of advanced math.

I had two papers in major journals as an undergrad (both related to dynamical systems), and I am going good research now (I expect to publish a few more papers by the time I complete my second Masters). I have not retaken the physics GRE, but I expect to score better this time since I have a better background now.

I am worried about this: When I apply for the astrophysics PhD, will people think that I am just some person that wants to be in grad school forever, or that I "flip-flop" (for lack of a better term) on what I want to do with my life (even though astrophysics had always been the ultimate goal)? By the time I enter a PhD program, I will be 27 years old. I know places are not supposed to discriminate based on age, but I know that an admissions committee will prefer 22 year olds for grad students. Do you think two Masters degrees will help me or hurt me?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.:smile:

Mary

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think having these two MS degrees or your age hurt your chances for entering a PhD program in astrophysics. I think what a committee is looking for is a prepared student. So, you should be prepared to get right into research upon entering the PhD program [since most, if not all, of your required coursework would probably be done].

Good luck.

I agree with Robphy. Having two master's degrees will be looked on favorably by an admissions committee because it will show that you're well prepared and can handle the work. I don't know why you'd think of it as flip-flopping; astrophysics and math are very much intertwined!

As for the age, you're young. It's very common for older students (older than you) to pursue advanced degrees.

Good luck!

1. What is the benefit of having two Masters before pursuing a PhD in Astrophysics?

Having two Masters degrees can provide a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of astrophysics, making a candidate more competitive for a PhD program. It also allows for a deeper understanding and specialization in specific areas of astrophysics.

2. Do both Masters degrees need to be in Astrophysics?

No, it is not necessary for both Masters degrees to be in astrophysics. Other related fields such as physics, astronomy, or mathematics can also provide a strong background for a PhD in astrophysics.

3. How long does it typically take to complete two Masters degrees before starting a PhD program?

The time it takes to complete two Masters degrees can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take 2-3 years for each Masters degree, so a total of 4-6 years to complete both before starting a PhD program.

4. Are there any disadvantages to having two Masters before pursuing a PhD in Astrophysics?

One potential disadvantage is the additional time and cost required to complete two Masters degrees. It may also be more challenging to find funding for a PhD program if the candidate already has two Masters degrees.

5. Are there any specific courses or areas of focus recommended for the two Masters degrees?

It is recommended to have a mix of theoretical and practical courses in both Masters degrees, with a focus on astrophysics-related topics. Additionally, courses in mathematics, statistics, and computer science can also be beneficial for a career in astrophysics.