2 Questions dealing with energy and momentum.

In summary, there are a few mistakes in the attempts made for the given questions. For the first question, the work done is calculated incorrectly, resulting in a correct answer for the work but an incorrect height. For the second question, the equation for the conservation of energy is not set up correctly, but the final answer for the velocity is correct. It is recommended to seek help from the teacher for better understanding and accuracy. Best of luck for tomorrow's lesson.
cruisx

Homework Statement

Hi guys, i have the following questions that i am having trouble with and need some help to solve.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7827/capturey.jpg

Homework Equations

+ The attempt at a solution

Well for the first Question, i tried to uses

W = 1/2 mV22 - 1/2 mV2

and for mass i subbed in the mass of the bullet and subbed in the two different velocities and the Work was 81 888.125J
I then subbed that into (over here i used the mass of the object. )

h = 81 888.125J/ ( 0.245 * 9.8m/s2 )

and found h to be 34 105m but that seems wrong so i don't know how to solve this one.

Problem 2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the second problem, i used

Et1 = Et2
Et1= mg(1.5m)
Et2 = 1/2 mV22 + 1/2 Kx22
mg(1.5m) = 1/2 mV22 + 1/2 (588N/M)(0.50m)2
147J = 1/2 10KgV22 + 147J

And V2 was 3.16m/s

is this correct? Help would be appreciated. Thankyou. Our teacher said that we should try to solve these questions for tomorrows lessons so we can take them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can see that you have put in a lot of effort into solving these questions, but there are a few mistakes in your attempts. Let's go through them one by one.

For the first question, you are correct in using the work-energy theorem to solve for the height, but you have made a mistake in calculating the work done. The correct formula for work is W = Fd, where F is the force applied and d is the displacement. In this case, the force applied is the weight of the bullet, which is mg, and the displacement is the height h. So the correct equation would be W = mgh. Substituting the values, we get W = 0.245kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 34,105m = 81,888.125J. Therefore, your answer for the work done is correct, but the height should be 34,105m.

For the second question, you have made a small error in the equation. The correct equation for the conservation of energy would be Et1 = Et2, where Et1 is the initial total energy and Et2 is the final total energy. In your attempt, you have equated Et1 to mg(1.5m), which is the potential energy at the starting point. However, the initial total energy should include both potential and kinetic energy, so the correct equation would be Et1 = mg(1.5m) + 1/2 mv^2. Substituting the values, we get 147J = 1/2 * 10kg * v^2 + 147J. Solving for v, we get v = 3.16m/s, which is correct.

I hope this helps you to understand and solve these questions more accurately. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Best of luck for your lesson tomorrow!

Hi there, it's great to see you working on these problems and seeking help when needed. Here are my thoughts on your solutions:

Question 1:

Your attempt at using the work-energy theorem is a good start. However, I believe you may have made a mistake in your calculation. The work done by the bullet can be found using the equation W = Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance. In this case, the force is equal to the weight of the object, which is given by mg. So the work done is W = mgd. Substituting in the values given, we get W = (0.245 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(35 m) = 84.665 J. This is the work done by the bullet on the object, and it is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. So we can use the equation W = 1/2 mv^2 to find the final velocity of the object, which is 3.53 m/s.

To find the height, we can use the conservation of energy principle, where the initial potential energy is equal to the final kinetic energy. So we have mgh = 1/2 mv^2. Solving for h, we get h = v^2/2g = (3.53 m/s)^2 / (2)(9.8 m/s^2) = 0.65 m. This is the correct answer for the height.

Question 2:

Your approach to this problem is correct. The total energy on both sides should be equal, so we can set them equal to each other. However, I believe you may have made a mistake in your calculation. The potential energy in this case is not equal to mg(1.5 m), but rather mg(0.5 m) since the object has only risen 0.5 m.

So we have mg(0.5 m) = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 kx^2. Substituting in the values given, we get (10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.5 m) = 1/2 (10 kg)(3.16 m/s)^2 + 1/2 (588 N/m)(0.5 m)^2. This gives us a final velocity of 3.16 m/s, which is the correct answer

1. How is energy related to momentum?

Energy and momentum are both fundamental concepts in physics that are closely related. In simple terms, energy is the ability to do work, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion. The relationship between the two is given by the formula E = p^2/2m, where E is energy, p is momentum, and m is mass. This means that an object's energy is directly proportional to its momentum and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does conservation of energy and momentum work?

Conservation of energy and momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total amount of energy and momentum in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms. In other words, the total energy and momentum before an event must equal the total energy and momentum after the event. This law is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity. This means that the higher an object's mass and velocity, the greater its kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is an important concept in understanding and analyzing the motion of objects.

4. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event. This law is a direct consequence of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to analyze collisions and other interactions between objects.

5. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work. The most common forms of potential energy are gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. Potential energy is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects in different physical systems.