2 Questions: Odds and Probability

In summary, the conversation is about two questions from a textbook regarding odds and probability. The first question involves determining the odds in favor of either Team A or Team B winning a championship. The second question is about the probability of two out of eight friends having the same birthday. The person asking for help has not been able to find the answers and is seeking input.
mwang
Hey all,

I was going over some questions in my textbook when I came across these two questions. I could not get the answer in the back of the book (possibly because there is an error) or I did something wrong. I'd appreciate it if anybody can help me out.

1) If the odds in favor of team A winning the championship is 1:5, and the odds in favor of team B winning the championship is 2:13, what are the odds in favor of either team A or team B winning the championship.

2) What is the probability that exactly two out of eight friends will have the same birthday?

I'd appreciate any input

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to show some work, what have you tried?

for reaching out for help with these questions! I can offer some insight into how to approach these types of problems.

For the first question, it's important to understand that odds and probability are related but not the same. Odds are typically expressed as a ratio, while probability is a numerical value between 0 and 1. To find the odds in favor of either team A or team B winning the championship, we can first convert the given odds into probabilities. For team A, the probability of winning would be 1/6, and for team B it would be 2/15.

To find the probability of either team A or team B winning, we can use the formula P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B). In this case, P(A and B) would be 0 since it is impossible for both teams to win at the same time. So, the probability of either team winning would be 1/6 + 2/15 = 5/15 = 1/3. This translates to odds of 1:2 in favor of either team A or team B winning the championship.

For the second question, we can use the formula for calculating the probability of a specific number of successes in a given number of trials, which is P(x successes in n trials) = (nCx)(p^x)(1-p)^(n-x), where n is the total number of trials, x is the number of successes we are interested in, and p is the probability of success in a single trial.

In this case, n=8, x=2, and p=1/365 (since there are 365 days in a year and each friend has an equal chance of having the same birthday). So the probability would be P(2 out of 8 friends have the same birthday) = (8C2)(1/365)^2(1-1/365)^(8-2) = 28(1/365)^2(364/365)^6 ≈ 0.000000004 or 4 in 1 billion. This is a very small probability, but not impossible!

I hope this helps. Remember to always carefully read the question and think about what information is given and what you need to find. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: 2 Questions: Odds and Probability

1. What is the difference between odds and probability?

Odds and probability are two ways of expressing the likelihood of an event occurring. Probability is a mathematical concept that refers to the chance of an event happening, usually expressed as a percentage or a decimal. Odds, on the other hand, are typically presented as a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the number of unfavorable outcomes.

2. How do you calculate the odds of an event?

To calculate the odds of an event, you need to know the number of favorable outcomes and the number of unfavorable outcomes. The odds are then calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the number of unfavorable outcomes. For example, if there are 3 favorable outcomes and 7 unfavorable outcomes, the odds would be 3:7 or 3/7.

3. Can odds and probability be converted into each other?

Yes, odds and probability can be converted into each other. To convert odds to probability, you can use the formula probability = odds / (odds + 1). To convert probability to odds, you can use the formula odds = probability / (1 - probability).

4. What is the difference between odds in favor and odds against?

Odds in favor refer to the likelihood of an event happening, while odds against refer to the likelihood of an event not happening. For example, odds in favor of rolling a 6 on a six-sided die would be 1:5, while odds against would be 5:1.

5. How are odds and probability used in real life?

Odds and probability are used in various fields, including statistics, gambling, and risk assessment. In everyday life, they can help us make decisions by understanding the likelihood of certain events occurring. For example, understanding the odds of winning a lottery can help us make an informed decision about whether to play or not.