1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 (simple) Improper Integrals I'm stuck with

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone

Here are two improper integrals and I have to find the values of [itex]p[/itex] for which they are convergent

1. [tex]
    \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x^{p}}dx

2. [tex]
    \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t} dt

As I do not know the answers and am somewhat stuck with the reasoning, I would be grateful if someone could check these for me and let me know the correct answers

First Problem

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x^{p}}dx = I_{1} + I_{2}[/tex]

[tex]I_{1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x^{p}}dx[/tex]
    [tex]I_{2} = \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x^{p}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1-e^{-x}}{x^{p}} \leq \frac{x}{x^{p}} = \frac{1}{x^{p-1}}[/tex]

So by comparison test (or limit comparison test) [itex]I_{1}[/itex] converges for [itex]2-p > 0[/itex] or [itex]p < 2[/itex].

Similarly, [itex]I_{2}[/itex] converges for [itex]p > 1[/itex]. Putting these together, the original integral converges for [itex]1 < p < 2[/itex]. Is this correct?

Second Problem

\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t} dt = I_{1} + I_{2}

[tex]I_{1} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t} dt[/tex]
    [tex]I_{2} = \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t} dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t} \leq t^{p-1}[/tex]

by comparison test, we can see that [itex]I_{1}[/itex] will converge for [itex]p > 0[/itex]. But this reasoning applied to [itex]I_{2}[/itex] yields a wrong answer. Whats going wrong here?

I think the correct answer to second problem is [itex] 0 < p < 1[/itex].
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2
    1. This is correct

For 2 how did you conclude that it [tex] I_{1} [/tex] will converge for [tex] p > 0 [/tex]? Use the limit comparison test.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. Oct 16, 2006 #3
    Thanks :smile:...please...could you also have a look at the second one.
  5. Oct 16, 2006 #4
    My question then is two-fold.

First if I compare with [itex]t^{p-1}[/itex] then

[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 0}}\left(\frac{t^{p-1}}{1+t}\right)\left(\frac{1}{t^{p-1}}\right) = 1[/tex]

So the integral converges if [itex]\int_{0}^{1}t^{p-1}dt[/itex] converges, i.e. for [itex]p > 0[/itex]. (I think something's going wrong here...can you suggest a more general method? I think that by comparing with a power of p, I am forcing only that solution for which the right hand integral is convergent, which depends on p!)
  6. Oct 16, 2006 #5
    This is for [itex]1 < t < \infty[/itex]. What about the first integral?
  7. Oct 16, 2006 #6
    it converges for [tex] p>0 [/tex]. so the whole integral diverges because [tex] p < 0 [/tex] and [tex] p > 0 [/tex] cant both be true.
  8. Oct 16, 2006 #7
    No, it actually converges:

Suppose I take p = 0.5, then the integral is simply,

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}(1+x)}dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(1+t^{2})}dt [/tex]

which converges to [itex]\pi[/itex].
  9. Oct 16, 2006 #8
    indeed, you are correct, it converges for [tex] 0<p<1 [/tex]. I used the same argument as in problem 1.

you have to set [tex] 1-p < 1 [/tex] for [tex] I_{1} [/tex], and [tex] 1-p > 0 [/tex] for [tex] I_{2} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?