Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 weighted pulley system

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    This is going to seem a somewhat basic question to most people. However, I am trying to build a project where a weight on a pulley weighs 5kg on the way up but 8kg on the way down, then 5kg on the way up and 8kg on the way down, and so on.... So its heavier on the way down. I was just wondering how a 'pulley system' would would to ensure this. Or if a pulley system would be the best/cheapest way. I really cant get my head round it. any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A weight us a physical object and is what it is. To change it you have to change it. Or perhaps I'm not understanding what you want to do.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    ok basically i want a pully system which has a 5kg attatched to it on the way up. Then it reaches 'the top' and on the way down it weighs 8kg. So it somehow attaches to something at the top and once at the bottom, it detatches and weighs 5kg again and once at the top it attaches to something and weights more on the way down.. I was jsut thinking a pulley system would be cheapest but cant work out in my head how it would work. any suggestion would be much apppricated.

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well it would work fine as described. Still not seeing a problem.

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5
    Well, an overshot water wheel does about what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook