2019 PF Member Awards coming soon

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I have never heard 'git' and I am from the south.This site says 'get' I definitely hear...I have never heard 'git' and I am from the south.
Our internal nomination process has begun so be on your best behavior and make as big of a positive impact on the community as you can in order to catch our eye! Public voting will start Dec 23rd and end Jan 6th with award ceremony on Jan 7th. Thanks and good luck!

Likes pinball1970, WWGD, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
be on your best behavior
Bah humbug :smile:

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
Bah humbug :smile:
You get my miserable git nomination.
If you are not from the UK, this is a term you use for a grumpy uncle who does not like children or Xmas.

Just to add, it's a term of endearment. Kind of.

pinball1970 said:
If you are not from the UK, this is a term you use for a grumpy uncle who does not like children or Xmas.
What does it mean if you ARE from the UK?

EDIT: Oh, "term of endearment" ? Weird. Bah humbug.

Yeah I thought this may lead to stuff.
We have different language than anyone else surely you know this?
By different I mean more extensive, deep history, literary context, more nuanced etc..
Miserable git in the north west of England means you do not smile as I hand you a milk stout.
Is that good enough?
Thinking I may pip you to humour vote this year, I expect your vote this year sir.
We did some voting yesterday but no idea what that was about now, THIS is the election. Edit removed one 'sir' the post sounded too British.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
What does it mean if you ARE from the UK?

EDIT: Oh, "term of endearment" ? Weird. Bah humbug.
If you are from the UK means just that. I wasn't being cryptic

Likes sysprog
pinball1970 said:
An example of use of 'git', accompanied by an emphatic pejorative, from:

I'm So Tired​
. . .​
I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset​
Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette​
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh​
He was such a stupid git
. . .​

(Probably the knowledge that Sir Walter Raleigh is credited/blamed with/for having been the first to have brought tobacco from the New World back to Europe is closer to universal in England than in the US, but in the usage above, I would venture, the meaning of 'git' is rather inferable.)
Cigarette-12.png

Likes pinball1970
sysprog said:

I'm So Tired​
. . .​
He was such a stupid git
. . .​

(Probably the knowledge that Sir Walter Raleigh is credited/blamed with/for having been the first to have brought tobacco from the New World back to Europe is closer to universal in England than in the US, but in the usage above, I would venture, the meaning of 'git' is rather inferable.)View attachment 254106
John Lennon actually says 'get' not 'git'
I think that is more of a North west thing, git is is more southern.

pinball1970 said:
John Lennon actually says 'get' not 'git'
I think that is more of a North west thing, git is is more southern.
I've seen it in print as 'get', but I've heard 'stupid git' frequently (as a boy in Oxford in the '70s). I thought 'get' was simply a mistranscription of John Lennon's Liverpudlian pronunciation of 'git'. I suppose that as a noun 'get' could mean 'a thing gotten' or 'a person begotten'.

Likes pinball1970
I believe git is a variant on get, in the sense of begotten (to be a child of), or more likely misbegotten (to be a bastard child of). It's pretty far removed from its roots (in a "gosh darn it to heck" kind of way). It's a insult, but I've certainly seen it used with a smile in an inoffensive way.

Likes pinball1970 and sysprog
sysprog said:
I've seen it in print as 'get', but I've heard 'stupid git' frequently (as a boy in Oxford in the '70s). I thought 'get' was simply a mistranscription of John Lennon's Liverpudlian pronunciation of 'git'. I suppose that as a noun 'get' could mean 'a thing gotten' or 'a person begotten'.
Yes he does go very scouse on that track, Maggie May is the other one.

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:

I'm So Tired​
. . .​
He was such a stupid git
. . .​

(Probably the knowledge that Sir Walter Raleigh is credited/blamed with/for having been the first to have brought tobacco from the New World back to Europe is closer to universal in England than in the US, but in the usage above, I would venture, the meaning of 'git' is rather inferable.)View attachment 254106
This site says 'get' I definitely hear 'get'
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/63729/

Greg Bernhardt said:
When voting opens on Dec 23rd.
Cheers

I remember a friend from the UK and he'd return home from the pub and say he was pissed. I asked why he was so mad. He'd say "I'm not mad, I'm drunk"

Cookies are NOT biscuits.

Chips are not french fries.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, berkeman and 2 others
Evo said:
I remember a friend from the UK and he'd return home from the pub and say he was pissed. I asked why he was so mad. He'd say "I'm not mad, I'm drunk"

Yes the term must be centred on the fact that alcohol inhibits anti diuretic hormone giving rise to more urine production.
It gives rise to some strange phrases besides being 'p1ssed.'
I'm going on the p1ss tonight (I will be drinking this evening)
I am well p1ssed (I have consumed a lot of alcohol and I am now drunk)
I got back p1ssed up and the Mrs was really pissed off at me( I came back drunk (nothing to do with up or down) and my wife was most annoyed with me)

Likes Evo
Evo said:

Evo, re Chips and Biscuits.

Afternoon tea and biscuits with friends, with a sprawling view of English countryside of flowers, green hills and oak trees will make you realize why Constable, Gainsborough and Wordsworth were inspired to create beautiful art. Isaac Newton too probably although he was interested in how it all worked rather in just the way it looked.
Chips? Getting drunk and having a chippy supper won wars, gave the world the industrial revolution and built an empire.
I'll stop there because I don't want to overstate it.

Likes Evo
Just a few days left! Polls open Monday!

Likes member 587159, Charles Link and Wrichik Basu
Evo said:

I spent a year in a lab in Newcastle upon Tyne (Northern England) and learned a lot of interesting Britishisms.
Also ran into some Geordies who seen to have their own dialect.

There were several phrases I liked, but the most memorable (probably because I worked on ships for a year) was "stroppy". An older gal in the lab used it.
Her explanation was that it referred to someone under a lot of stress, as in the strops on an old sailing ship that connected stays (which keep the masts from flopping around due to the wind) to the hull of the ship.
The nautical world has its own lexicon.

Likes Evo
BillTre said:
I spent a year in a lab in Newcastle upon Tyne (Northern England) and learned a lot of interesting Britishisms.
My friend also lived in Newcastle upon Tyne he could speak Geordie, but due to attending private schools, spoke proper British/English as his main language. He referred me to a website once that had a Geordie to English translator! It was very funny.

And yes sailors have a language all their own.

Likes BillTre
sysprog said:
(Probably the knowledge that Sir Walter Raleigh is credited/blamed with/for having been the first to have brought tobacco from the New World back to Europe is closer to universal in England than in the US, but in the usage above, I would venture, the meaning of 'git' is rather inferable.)

All Bob Newhart fans of a certain age know this fact. He did a wonderful bit about Sir Walter telephoning the Queen and describing his New World discovery of the weed. A very funny man.

Likes sysprog
hutchphd said:
All Bob Newhart fans of a certain age know this fact. He did a wonderful bit about Sir Walter telephoning the Queen and describing his New World discovery of the weed. A very funny man.
Yeah, that was brilliant -- here he is doing a reprise of it on the Dean Martin show . . .

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Evo and hutchphd
sysprog said:
Yeah, that was brilliant -- here he is doing a reprise of it on the Dean Martin show . . .

I guess that was before smoking tobacco became socially BAD, it had been known to be unhealthy before this show, but most people ignored the warnings.

Dean Martin died of acute respiratory distress from lung cancer. He was a chain smoker.

If you haven't noticed, the polls are open!
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/2019-pf-member-awards.295/

Likes Charles Link
BillTre said:

There were several phrases I liked, but the most memorable (probably because I worked on ships for a year) was "stroppy". An older gal in the lab used it.
Her explanation was that it referred to someone under a lot of stress, as in the strops on an old sailing ship that connected stays (which keep the masts from flopping around due to the wind) to the hull of the ship.
The nautical world has its own lexicon.

A British comedy duo, Harry & Paul, did a series of sketches where a posh English family keeps a Geordie as a pet! I don't know how they got away with it.

Last day to vote in the member polls!
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/2019-pf-member-awards.295/

Award ceremony will be tonight or tomorrow!

Likes Charles Link and berkeman

What are the 2019 PF Member Awards?

The 2019 PF Member Awards are an annual recognition program for members of the PF community who have made significant contributions to the field of science.

Who is eligible to receive a 2019 PF Member Award?

Any member of the PF community, including scientists, researchers, and students, who have made notable contributions to the field of science during the year 2019 are eligible to receive a 2019 PF Member Award.

How are the winners of the 2019 PF Member Awards chosen?

The winners of the 2019 PF Member Awards are chosen by a committee of esteemed scientists and researchers, who review and evaluate the contributions and achievements of each nominee before making their final decision.

When will the winners of the 2019 PF Member Awards be announced?

The winners of the 2019 PF Member Awards will be announced at a special ceremony during the annual PF conference in December 2019.

What are the categories for the 2019 PF Member Awards?

The categories for the 2019 PF Member Awards include Outstanding Researcher, Emerging Scientist, Science Communicator, Mentor of the Year, and Lifetime Achievement. There may also be additional categories depending on the number and quality of nominations received.