Exploring 2D Diffraction Spacing and Light Transmittance in 40um x 40um Lattice

In summary, the transmittance of light through a 2D square spacing can be calculated as the area of the opening divided by the total area. The size of the square opening also affects the diffraction of light passing through it, with smaller openings resulting in larger spacing and more diffraction. The exact diffraction pattern would depend on various factors and can be observed on a screen placed at a distance from the aperture.
strokebow
2D Aperture/Diffraction Spacing

Hi,

I have a 2D square spacing of 40um x 40um lattice. I am passing light through the spacing.

I want to know how much of the light gets through... the transmittance.

Clearly the light is being blocked by the surrounding lattice wires and the rest of the light passes through the 40um x 40um opening. Hence, I am calculating it as the area of lattice divided by the total area.

Is this correct?

Also, it would be interesting to know how the light diffracts as it moves through this 2d opening. And how the size of the square opening affects the amount of light that is diffracted. Anyone know what this is?

cheeers

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can confirm that your calculation for transmittance is correct. The transmittance can be calculated as the area of the opening divided by the total area, assuming the light is passing through a uniform medium.

Regarding diffraction, the size of the square opening does affect the amount of light that is diffracted. This is due to the phenomenon of diffraction, where light waves passing through small openings or around obstacles spread out and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of light and dark regions. The size of the opening determines the spacing between these light and dark regions, with smaller openings resulting in larger spacing and more diffraction.

In the case of your 2D aperture, the diffraction pattern would be a 2D version of the familiar single-slit diffraction pattern. The exact pattern would depend on the wavelength of the light, the size and shape of the aperture, and the distance between the aperture and the screen where the pattern is observed.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

What is 2D Diffraction Spacing?

2D Diffraction Spacing is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave of light or other electromagnetic radiation passes through a narrow slit or aperture and spreads out into a diffraction pattern. It is a two-dimensional version of the more commonly known diffraction pattern, which is a three-dimensional phenomenon.

How is 2D Diffraction Spacing different from 3D Diffraction?

The main difference between 2D and 3D Diffraction is the dimensionality of the diffraction pattern. While 3D Diffraction produces a three-dimensional pattern, 2D Diffraction produces a two-dimensional pattern. Additionally, 2D Diffraction is often observed with smaller slit widths compared to 3D Diffraction.

What factors affect the spacing of 2D Diffraction patterns?

The spacing of 2D Diffraction patterns is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident wave, the size of the slit or aperture, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the pattern is observed. The spacing also depends on the angle at which the pattern is observed.

How is 2D Diffraction Spacing used in real-world applications?

2D Diffraction Spacing has many practical applications, including in the field of optics and microscopy, where it is used to produce high-resolution images. It is also used in the study of crystal structures in materials science, as well as in the development of new materials for optical devices.

Is 2D Diffraction Spacing limited to light waves?

No, 2D Diffraction Spacing can occur with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. This phenomenon is not limited to electromagnetic radiation and can be observed with any type of wave that passes through a narrow aperture or slit.