2D heat conduction of layered composite model

In summary, the conversation is about formulating a 2D model to calculate temperature change in a composite material. The material has several layers and is heated from all edges with a known temperature vs time profile. The person is considering creating a finite element model and asks for a similar example. They have experience with 1D conduction models but with homogeneous materials. Chet suggests using finite difference instead.
geetar_king
Hi, I am trying to formulate a 2D model to calculate the temperature change over time in a composite material.

The material consists of several layers, and is heated from all edges by a known temperature vs time profile.

I was thinking of creating a finite element model.

Can someone point me to a similar example? I have done 1D conduction model before but always with a homogeneous material. Do I just have to create nodes throughout and assign different material properties to each?

I have attached a schematic of what I am trying to describe.

Thanks

Attachments

• schematic.png
    schematic.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 471
Science news on Phys.org
geetar_king said:
Hi, I am trying to formulate a 2D model to calculate the temperature change over time in a composite material.

The material consists of several layers, and is heated from all edges by a known temperature vs time profile.

I was thinking of creating a finite element model.

Can someone point me to a similar example? I have done 1D conduction model before but always with a homogeneous material. Do I just have to create nodes throughout and assign different material properties to each?

I have attached a schematic of what I am trying to describe.

Thanks
To do the problem as you've defined it, then yes, you have to do it pretty much the way you described. I would be more inclined to use finite difference than finite element.

Chet

Thanks Chet, I will give it a try with finite difference method.

1. What is 2D heat conduction of layered composite model?

2D heat conduction of layered composite model is a mathematical model used to analyze the flow of heat through a layered composite material. It takes into account the different thermal properties of each layer, such as thermal conductivity and thickness, to predict the temperature distribution within the material.

2. How is heat transferred in a layered composite material?

The heat in a layered composite material is transferred through conduction, which is the transfer of heat through a solid material. Heat is also transferred through convection, which is the transfer of heat through a fluid or gas, and radiation, which is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors influence the temperature distribution in a layered composite material?

The temperature distribution in a layered composite material is influenced by several factors, including the thermal properties of each layer, the temperature gradient, and the boundary conditions at the interfaces between layers. The geometry and orientation of the layers also play a role in the temperature distribution.

4. How is the temperature distribution calculated in a 2D heat conduction model?

The temperature distribution in a 2D heat conduction model is calculated using the Fourier heat conduction equation, which relates the temperature gradient to the thermal conductivity, material properties, and boundary conditions. This equation is solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods.

5. What are some applications of 2D heat conduction of layered composite model?

The 2D heat conduction of layered composite model is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and building construction to analyze the thermal performance of materials. It is also used in the development of thermal insulation materials and in the design of electronic devices to prevent overheating.