1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Statics prolem - Frames

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I will attach a scanned pic of the problem, but it seems to be a basic frames problem. However, everything seems to have to many unknowns on it to solve. I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I can't seem to make any more progress.

2. Relevant equations
    ƩM=0
    ƩFv=0
    ƩFh=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at a solution began with resolving the uniformly distributed load into a single force, 1050 lb. acting 3.5 feet from either side. The next step was to solve for any pin reactions that I could on the structure as a whole, which is:
    Reaction at A Horizontal= 918.75 lb to the left
    Reaction at F Horizontal= 918.75 lb to the right
    I got these numbers from doing ƩM=0 around point A and F. I saw no way to solve for the vertical reactions at A and F, since any moment equations would eliminate both as they are colinear, and a moment equation around any other point would leave two unknown vertical forces. So I tried to move on to calculating forces on the individual members of the frames, but every piece seems to have to many unknown forces to solve for anything. I feel like I'm missing something basic, but we didn't spend much time on frames in class and have already moved on. I haven't had any problems with other frames in this section, so I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Finding the horiz force resctions is a good way to start. You should then break apart the members as you suggested and Note the known and unknown forces (in free body diagrams,), in the x and y directions . Don't forget newton 3. It is helpful to recognize that the vertical and diagonal members are 2-force members that take axial load only along the direction of the member. The axial loads can be broken into their components using basic trig for vectors, where necessary. The other members can support axial, shear, and bending stresses.
    Hint: Is there any horiz force at C when you draw the FBD of CD? What about when you draw the FBD of ABC, what is the value of the horiz force acting at C?

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I'm still confused. If I break member CD out, I don't know any forces on it, so I can't solve for anything. If I break member ABC out, I have unknown horizontal and vertical forces at B and C, and an unknown vertical at A. So I can't solve for any unknowns there, either, since I have so many and can't use moment equations to eliminate enough. There are also no known forces on BE and five unknowns on FED, which has the same problem as ABC.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you have unknown vertical forces at each end, Cy and Dy, right? Are there any horizontal forces Cx and Dx at those ends of this 2-force member that takes axial forces only?
    yes, Bx and By, which are the components of the force B in the diagonal member, trig related
    yes , Cy only if you understood my hints
    yes, Ay
    look at ABC and sum forces in the horizonal direction to solve for Bx. Then you know By, and can solve for Ay, and Cy....continue..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook