2d statics truss, joint method

In summary: I couldn't see anything else that would work. A quick look at the problem again and it's clear - I think I'm going to have to start drawing everything to scale.In summary, using the joint method, we determined the force of each member in a truss system and found the following values: Fab = 2465 T, Fbd = 1200 T, Fbc = 1375 C, Fdc = 750 C, Fde = 860 T, Fce = 649 C, and Fac = 1922 C. It is important to first determine joint support reactions and then work through the joints in order to accurately determine forces. Additionally, it is crucial to pay attention to the geometry of
togo

Homework Statement

2lw4x1g.jpg

Determine force of each member using joint method

Homework Equations

T = F x D

The Attempt at a Solution

2ytuvme.jpg

Answers are:

Fab 2465 T
Fbd 1200 T
Fbc 1375 C
Fdc 750 C
Fde 860 T (This one is what I tried)
Fce 649 C
Fac 1922 C

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved this thread to the engineering homework forum as you're more likely to get responses on this type of problem there.

You might want to forgo using a scanned image of your work, especially one so large, since it makes your post inconvenient to read.

togo said:
Determine force of each member using joint method

Homework Equations

T = F x D

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers are:

Fab 2465 T
Fbd 1200 T
Fbc 1375 C
Fdc 750 C
Fde 860 T (This one is what I tried)
Fce 649 C
Fac 1922 C

Thanks.
You have the wrong geometry for the slope of member DE...the rise is 20 but the run is 25, not 55...

Always determine joint support reactions first using the equilibrium equations; then start at the easiest joints next when determining forces using the method of joints. Also be sure to indicate T (force of member on joint pulls away from joint) or C (force of member on joint pushes toward joint).

thanks for that, encouraging to know I'm on the right track. Something did seem wrong with the trig

I would like to point out that the joint method is a commonly used approach in structural engineering to analyze the forces in a truss system. It involves isolating a specific joint and applying the equations of static equilibrium to determine the forces in each member connected to that joint. The equation used in this method is T = F x D, where T is the tension or compression force in a member, F is the external force acting on the joint, and D is the length of the member.

Based on the provided answers, it seems that the homework problem involves a 2D statics truss, which means that the truss is only loaded in the x-y plane and there is no movement in the z-direction. It is important to note that the answers may vary depending on the specific dimensions and loads of the truss. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully follow the steps of the joint method and double-check the calculations to ensure accuracy.

In conclusion, the joint method is a useful tool for analyzing truss systems and determining the forces in each member. It is a fundamental concept in structural engineering and is essential for designing safe and efficient structures. As a scientist, it is important to always approach problems with careful analysis and attention to detail.

1. What is the joint method in 2D statics truss?

The joint method is a technique used in 2D statics truss analysis to determine the internal forces and reactions at each joint of a truss structure. It involves breaking down the truss into individual joints and analyzing the forces acting on each joint to find the unknown forces.

2. How is the joint method used in truss analysis?

The joint method is used by first drawing a free body diagram of each joint in the truss and isolating it from the rest of the structure. Then, using the equations of equilibrium, the unknown forces at each joint can be solved for by considering the forces acting on the joint in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

3. What are the assumptions made in using the joint method for truss analysis?

The joint method makes several assumptions, including that the truss is in static equilibrium, all forces are acting only at the joints, and that the joints are frictionless. These assumptions may not hold true in real-life truss structures, but they provide a simplified approach for solving for the internal forces.

4. Can the joint method be used for any type of truss structure?

Yes, the joint method can be used for any type of truss structure, including simple trusses, compound trusses, and complex trusses with multiple levels. However, the complexity of the structure may affect the number of joints and equations needed to solve for the unknown forces.

5. What are the advantages of using the joint method in truss analysis?

The joint method is advantageous because it provides a simple and systematic approach to solving for the internal forces in a truss structure. It also allows for the identification of any unstable or indeterminate truss configurations, which can be useful in the design and analysis of truss structures.