2d to 3d plane projection

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that involves using a webcam to detect a 2D plane with a pattern on it. The goal is to obtain 3D coordinates to find the orientation of the pattern. The individual has searched for solutions online but hasn't found anything helpful, and is now seeking advice and suggestions. They are referred to Wikipedia for more information on 3D projection and suggested to use a 3D coordinate system to solve for the linear projection.
jash7205
hi,

so this is actually for a program I'm writing, but it's definitely more of a math question than a programming question. basically, i have an object that gets detected by a webcam attached to a computer. the object is just a piece of paper with a pattern on it, so it is, for the purpose of the program, a 2D plane. from the webcam i am able to obtain 2d coordinates of the four corners of the pattern. also, i know the 3d dimensions of the plane (length, width, etc).

the goal is to somehow get 3d coordinates, which i will use to find the orientation of the pattern, from that information. i spent hours searching the web, but haven't really found anything helpful (there was a lot of info on 3d to 2d projections, which is the opposite of what i want). does anyone know of any way of going about this? is there any necessary data that is missing?

thanks for your help,
-j

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia has an entry for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_projection with further sites to look at the specific subitems. Maybe you can even use the picture there which illustrates your situation quite well. Just put a 3D coordinate system in it, and then you can determine the linear projection ##Px=y## by solving for ##P## given the four points ##x## and parts of ##y##.

1. What is 2d to 3d plane projection?

2d to 3d plane projection is a mathematical process used to transform a two-dimensional image or object onto a three-dimensional plane. This allows for the visualization of a two-dimensional object in a three-dimensional space, giving it depth and perspective.

2. How is 2d to 3d plane projection used in science?

In science, 2d to 3d plane projection is commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It is used to create 3D models of objects or phenomena that can be observed or studied in 2D, allowing for a more accurate representation of their structure or behavior.

3. What are the main methods of 2d to 3d plane projection?

The two main methods of 2d to 3d plane projection are orthographic projection and perspective projection. Orthographic projection is used for technical drawings and maps, while perspective projection is used to create realistic 3D images that mimic the way the human eye perceives depth.

4. What are some real-life applications of 2d to 3d plane projection?

Some real-life applications of 2d to 3d plane projection include architectural rendering, creating 3D models for video games and animations, and in medical imaging for creating 3D representations of body parts or organs.

5. Are there any limitations to 2d to 3d plane projection?

Yes, there are some limitations to 2d to 3d plane projection. One of the main limitations is that it can only create a 3D representation of an object or image based on the information available in the 2D image. This means that it may not accurately represent the object's true size, shape, or texture. Additionally, 2d to 3d plane projection does not take into account factors such as lighting and shadows, which can affect the perception of depth in a 3D space.