2nd order homogeneous linear diff eq

In summary: W5ncw0KIn summary, the differential equation y'' + y' - 2y = 0 has the solution y=c1ex + c2e-2x. This can be easily checked by substituting the solution into the differential equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. It is important to always check solutions in this way as a first step.
arl146

Homework Statement

y'' + y' - 2y = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is extremely simple. hopefully i am correct. i said the 'auxiliary' equation is r2 + r - 2 = (r+2)(r-1) = 0
the roots are r = 1, -2
so the solution is y=c1ex + c2e-2x

correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's correct.

arl146 said:

Homework Statement

y'' + y' - 2y = 0

Homework Equations

I think this is extremely simple. hopefully i am correct. i said the 'auxiliary' equation is r2 + r - 2 = (r+2)(r-1) = 0
the roots are r = 1, -2

correct?

Yes. You could easily check that yourself by plugging it back into the DE and see if it works.

just substitute the solution in for y in the diff eq? how does that work to show me if i am right?

nevermind!

Take the first and second derivatives of your solution, and substitute them and the solution into the differential equation. The result should be identically equal to zero.

arl146 said:

Homework Statement

y'' + y' - 2y = 0

Homework Equations

the roots are r = 1, -2

correct?

Here is a *very important* hint: Always check this for yourself, by substituting in your y and seeing whether it obeys the DE; that is, compute y', y'', etc. That should be your very first step, and it is something that has been drummed into the head of every physics/math student during the last 100 years.

RGV

What is a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

A 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable, and all the terms in the equation are of the form a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x)y = 0, where a(x), b(x), and c(x) are functions of the independent variable x.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a 2nd order differential equation has a second derivative, while a 1st order differential equation has a first derivative.

What does it mean for a differential equation to be homogeneous?

A homogeneous differential equation is one in which all the terms involve the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that there are no constants or terms that are not related to the dependent variable in the equation.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation has terms that are directly proportional to the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-linear differential equation has terms that are not directly proportional. This means that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to different powers in a non-linear equation.

What is a general solution to a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

A general solution to a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation is an equation that satisfies the given differential equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It is typically expressed in terms of arbitrary constants and can be used to find a particular solution by using initial conditions.