What is the general solution to the 2nd order linear ODE xy''+2y'+4xy=0?

In summary, the problem asks to find the general solution for the differential equation xy''+2y'+4xy=0, using either the Frobenius Method or Bessel's Equation. The roots for this problem are r1 = 0 and r2 = -1. To solve for y1(x), the attempt resulted in y1(x) = a0(x^-1)cos(2x) + ((a1)/2)(x^-1)sin(2x), but this does not satisfy the original equation. The Wolfram Alpha solution is y= (c1(exp(-2ix)))/x - (ic2(exp(2ix)))/4x. Further clarification and help is needed to understand the steps
sydneyfranke

Homework Statement

Find general solution to:

xy''+2y'+4xy=0

Homework Equations

Frobenius Method or Bessel's Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the roots for this problem (which are r1 = 0 & r2 = -1). But not I don't know what to do with these roots. I know that this is considered "Case 3", but I seriously don't know what to do from here.

Furthermore, I have attempted to solve for y1(x) and came up with the answer:

y1(x) = a0(x^-1)cos(2x) + ((a1)/2)(x^-1)sin(2x)

If this is right, then I'm not sure what the next step is. Do I do reduction of order? I hope not because that would take FOREVER.

Wolfram Alpha has the general solution as

y= (c1(exp(-2ix)))/x - (ic2(exp(2ix)))/4x

I'm totally lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sydneyfranke said:
y1(x) = a0(x^-1)cos(2x) + ((a1)/2)(x^-1)sin(2x)
Did you check that satisfies the original equation? (It doesn't look right to me. I get exponentials, not trig.)

No I didn't, but exponentials match the wolfram alpha solution. Can you maybe explain how you got the exponentials?

The way it works on these fora is that you post your working and others try to spot where you went wrong.

1. What is a 2nd Order Linear ODE?

A 2nd Order Linear ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and independent variables, where the highest order derivative is squared. It can be written in the form of y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = R(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and P(x), Q(x), and R(x) are functions of x.

2. What is the general solution to a 2nd Order Linear ODE?

The general solution to a 2nd Order Linear ODE is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It contains two arbitrary constants, which can be determined by initial conditions or boundary conditions.

3. What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd Order Linear ODEs?

A homogeneous 2nd Order Linear ODE has the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0, where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x. A non-homogeneous 2nd Order Linear ODE has the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = R(x), where R(x) is a non-zero function of x. The general solution to a homogeneous equation contains two arbitrary constants, while the general solution to a non-homogeneous equation contains a particular solution and the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

4. How are 2nd Order Linear ODEs solved?

There are several methods for solving 2nd Order Linear ODEs, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. These methods involve finding a particular solution and the general solution, and then combining them to obtain the complete solution.

5. What are some applications of 2nd Order Linear ODEs?

2nd Order Linear ODEs have many applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the fields of control theory, signal processing, and population dynamics. Furthermore, 2nd Order Linear ODEs are important in the study of differential equations and their applications in various disciplines.