1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Order Linear ODE Problem

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find general solution to:

xy''+2y'+4xy=0

2. Relevant equations

Frobenius Method or Bessel's Equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to get the roots for this problem (which are r1 = 0 & r2 = -1). But not I don't know what to do with these roots. I know that this is considered "Case 3", but I seriously don't know what to do from here.

Furthermore, I have attempted to solve for y1(x) and came up with the answer:

y1(x) = a0(x^-1)cos(2x) + ((a1)/2)(x^-1)sin(2x)

If this is right, then I'm not sure what the next step is. Do I do reduction of order? I hope not because that would take FOREVER.

Wolfram Alpha has the general solution as

y= (c1(exp(-2ix)))/x - (ic2(exp(2ix)))/4x

I'm totally lost. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you check that satisfies the original equation? (It doesn't look right to me. I get exponentials, not trig.)

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    No I didn't, but exponentials match the wolfram alpha solution. Can you maybe explain how you got the exponentials?

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The way it works on these fora is that you post your working and others try to spot where you went wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook