Solving 3-D Dirac Delta Function Homework Question?

In summary, the given integral can be written as a triple integral using the volume element and a solid sphere with radius 4 centered at the origin. The expression inside the integral can be simplified using the given equation for ##\vec{r}'## and the property of the delta function.
Dopplershift

Homework Statement

\begin{equation}
\int_V (r^2 - \vec{2r} \cdot \vec{r}') \ \delta^3(\vec{r} - \vec{r}') d\tau
\end{equation}

where:
\begin{equation}
\vec{r}' = 3\hat{x} + 2\hat{y} + \hat{z}
\end{equation}

Where d $\tau$ is the volume element, and V is a solid sphere with radius 4, centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the following:

Suppose:
\begin{equation}
\int_V f(r) \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') d\tau = f(\vec{r'})
\end{equation}
(if r' is in the volume).

I'm just confused on how to plug in r' into f(r) which is
\begin{equation}
r^2 - 2\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}'
\end{equation}

Any help to get me started will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dopplershift said:
$$\int_V (r^2 - \vec{2r} \cdot \vec{r}') \ \delta^3(\vec{r} - \vec{r}') d\tau $$where:
$$\vec{r}' = 3\hat{x} + 2\hat{y} + \hat{z}$$ where ##d\tau## is the volume element, and V is a solid sphere with radius 4, centered at the origin.
First, write out your integral as an explicit triple integral.

strangerep said:
First, write out your integral as an explicit triple integral.

Okay, so I can setup the integral.

\begin{equation}
\int_v (r^2 - 2\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}') \delta_x(x-x_0) \delta_y (y-y_0) \delta_z (z-z_0) dx dy dz
\end{equation}

I guess I'm confused how I plug ##\vec{r}'## into f(##\vec{r}##)

Never Mind, I figured it out. I was overthinking the problem. Thanks for your help! :)

What is the 3-D Dirac Delta Function?

The 3-D Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point in three-dimensional space. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point sources or idealized particles.

How is the 3-D Dirac Delta Function different from the 1-D Dirac Delta Function?

The 3-D Dirac Delta Function is an extension of the 1-D Dirac Delta Function, which is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. The 3-D version has the same properties, but it is defined in three dimensions instead of just one.

What are the applications of the 3-D Dirac Delta Function?

The 3-D Dirac Delta Function has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model point charges, point masses, and other point sources in three-dimensional space. It is also used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics.

Can the 3-D Dirac Delta Function be visualized?

No, the 3-D Dirac Delta Function cannot be visualized in the traditional sense since it represents a point in three-dimensional space. However, it can be represented graphically as a spike at the origin on a three-dimensional graph.

What is the relationship between the 3-D Dirac Delta Function and the Kronecker Delta Function?

The Kronecker Delta Function is a discrete version of the 3-D Dirac Delta Function. It is equal to 1 when the indices are equal and 0 otherwise. The Kronecker Delta Function can be seen as a discrete sampling of the continuous 3-D Dirac Delta Function.