Solving for 2 Unknowns with 3 Equations and Sine Functions

• Thread starter boeledi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sine
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the solution to a system of equations involving 5 unknowns, 2 of which are constants, and 3 equations. The suggested method was to use trigonometric identities and combine the equations to eliminate one variable at a time, eventually solving for the remaining two unknowns.
boeledi
Could someone help me find the solution of this ?

x - y + z - 2 A sin(y+z) = C
-x - y - z - 2 A sin(x+z) = C
-x + y + z - 2 A sin(x+y) = C

Where C and A are constant ?
Many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
could you please confirm that the second line is not x + y - z ...

Sorry, based on your question, I did my calculations again and ... The real system is:

-x + y + z + 2A sin(y-z) = C
-x + y - z + 2A sin(x-z) = C
x + y - z + 2A sin(x-y) = C

where A and C are constant.

Could you please help me?

I would start by applying the trigonometric identities for sin(a+b) then add the first 2 equations together. I think several terms will drop out, you then should be able to repeat the process with the 3rd equation. The goal is to eliminate one of the variables, when you have an expression involving 2 variables solve for 1 of them, then use that to back substitute isolating the remaining variables.

5 unkowns
2 of which are constant
3 equations

combine 3 equations, you will be left with 2 unkowns (your two constants)

And you are done... all you need is the time to solve it.

1. What are the three equations used in "3 Equations + sine"?

The three equations used in "3 Equations + sine" are the sine equation, cosine equation, and tangent equation. These equations involve the use of the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent, which are used to find the ratio of sides in a right triangle.

2. How do you solve equations involving sine?

To solve equations involving sine, you first need to isolate the sine term on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the inverse sine function to find the value of the angle. Finally, you can substitute this angle into the equation to find the value of the unknown variable.

3. What is the purpose of using "3 Equations + sine" in scientific calculations?

The purpose of using "3 Equations + sine" in scientific calculations is to solve for unknown angles or sides in a right triangle. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation, where the use of trigonometry is necessary to determine distances, heights, and angles.

4. Can the three equations be used in any type of triangle?

No, the three equations used in "3 Equations + sine" are specifically used for right triangles. For other types of triangles, different trigonometric equations such as the law of sines and law of cosines are used.

5. How can I remember the three equations for sine, cosine, and tangent?

A common way to remember the three equations is through the mnemonic SOH-CAH-TOA, which stands for "sine is opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse, tangent is opposite over adjacent". This can help you remember which ratio to use for each of the three equations.