IUPAP Names 3 New Elements: Cupernicium Included

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary: The other guys just followed his lead.In summary, three new elements have been named by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics. I question the wisdom of Cupernicium, which was named after copper. The other two names are boring. Onetensium (Ot) and Other-Halfnium (or Wholenium) (Wf) have been proposed, with Other acceptable names being JessicaAlbium, Evonium and Latinum. They were proposed back in 2004, and it only took 7 years for them to be approved. There are also elements 114 and 116, with the possibility that 113, 115, and 118 have been produced, but they are so short-lived (unstable) that
Jimmy Snyder
The General Assembly of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics in their never ending quest for new elements to name, has named 3 new elements. I question the wisdom of Cupernicium. He was named after copper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45171271"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cupernicium is fine, the other two names are boring.

I propose we call them:
Onetensium (Ot) #110, and Other-Halfnium (or Wholenium) (Wf) # 111 respectively.

Other acceptable names would be JessicaAlbium, Evonium, and Latinum.

Those IUPAP guys sure know how to ruin a perfectly good shower curtain :cry: .

Yummium?
(Since elements usually end in "ium".)

micromass said:
micromassium??

But they are all three rather large, perhaps Macromassium is a good compromise?

they all decay rather quickly. i suggest we just lump everything going forward into Unobtainium

Surely Administratium is on the "island of stability."

I propose "PFium". (Pee-eff-ee-umm)

Drakkith said:
I propose "PFium". (Pee-eff-ee-umm)
or Pforium. :biggrin:

I like eleventyoneum for Z=111.

Actually, the names were proposed back in 2004. It only took 7 years to approve the names.
http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/2004/pdf/7612x2101.pdf

There are also elements 114 and 116, with the possibility that 113, 115, and 118 have been produced, but they are so short-lived (unstable), that they cannot be verified at this time. Most of these elements are identified from decay products because their quantity and lifetimes are so limited.

http://www.iupac.org/web/nt/2011-06-01_elements_114_116

I also see a relatively new term in referring to these elements - transfermium (Fm, Z=100)

Nice history summary including origin of names of the elements:
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/content/elements.html

Darmstadtium? Intestinecityium?

Gadium!

Admit it people, it sounds great. :biggrin:Edit: Drizzlium is nice too. :biggrin:

Monique said:

I think you need to be (or know) German to understand that! :smile:

I like Serena said:
I think you need to be (or know) German to understand that! :smile:
Or have access to Google Translate.

Monique said:
Could that be the wurst joke at PF?

Astronuc said:
Could that be the wurst joke at PF?
Only the brats laugh.

drizzle said:
Gadium!

Admit it people, it sounds great. :biggrin:

Edit: Drizzlium is nice too. :biggrin:

I'm still working on Gadium.
I can only find a Mycobacterium and a DatingSiteium.

Any hints? :confused:

drizzle said:
Gadium!

Admit it people, it sounds great. :biggrin:

Edit: Drizzlium is nice too. :biggrin:
Well, that's probably too close to Gadolinium.

I vote this thread be closed for a PF first, "http://www.thefreedictionary.com/silliness" " :biggrin: :devil:

Let's hope it doesn't take as long as this.
It only took 7 years to approve the names.

Rhody...

How about linoleum, rustoleum, and valium?

Jimmy Snyder said:
The General Assembly of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics in their never ending quest for new elements to name, has named 3 new elements. I question the wisdom of Cupernicium. He was named after copper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45171271"

I thought at least the periodic table belonged to the Chemistry folks. Why do the physicists mess around with the Periodic table?

jobyts said:
I thought at least the periodic table belonged to the Chemistry folks. Why do the physicists mess around with the Periodic table?

Only the first part belongs to the chemistry folks.
They gave up on it when we hit about 100.
Nowadays the upper part belongs to the physicists (or perhaps the mathematicians :wink:).

jtbell said:
Surely Administratium is on the "island of stability."

Yes, but it is FAR too massive to have been discovered as yet in its elemental form, it exists only as an amorphous blob that cannot be broken into constituent atoms.

jobyts said:
Actually it was Pauli that explained the table.

1. What are the new elements named by IUPAP?

The three new elements named by IUPAP are nihonium, moscovium, and tennessine. These names were officially approved by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) in November 2016.

2. How were the names chosen for the new elements?

The names were proposed by the discoverers of each element and were reviewed and approved by IUPAC. The names were chosen based on various factors such as the element's properties, history, and mythology.

3. Why was cupernicium not included in the naming announcement?

Cupernicium, also known as element 112, was not included in the naming announcement because it was officially named in 2009 after being discovered in 1996. The announcement in 2016 only included the three newly discovered elements.

4. What are the atomic numbers and symbols for the new elements?

The atomic numbers and symbols for the new elements are as follows: nihonium (113, Nh), moscovium (115, Mc), and tennessine (117, Ts).

5. When will the new elements be officially added to the periodic table?

The new elements will be officially added to the periodic table after a period of public review and comment. This process can take several months to a year. Once approved, the new elements will be given their own spots in the periodic table.