1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 point charges in the x direction

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem:
    Three point charges are aligned along the x-axis as shown below. Find the electric field at the position x = +2.0m, y=0.
    ..............................y
    ..............................|
    --------|<--.50m --->|<--------------.80m-------->|
    --------0------------0-----------------------------0--------- X
    ........-4.0nC.............|5.0nC..............................3.0nC
    ..............................|

So, I figured that I have to add up the E along the x axis and that should give me my answer. But, I'm not sure what to do with the numbers when they are already an Electrical Field... -4.nC isn't the charge, so, don't I need to find the q (or charge) first? then put it in the form kq/r^2??

The only way I can come up with the answer is wrong... total E = 4,
    EA = 4 nC X 2m = 8 nC/m. 3 Charges times 8 nC/m = 24 nC... But that was simply a coincidence, I'm sure. 24 nC is the right answer, just need help getting there.:eek:

Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

eep

Are you sure? Those are units of charge, not of the electric field.

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why isn't -4.0 nC a charge? Isn't nC a nano-Coulomb? So it has units charge. The electric field has units N/C or V/m. So how can 24 nC be the right answer when it has the wrong units?

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4
    Unfortunately, the book says that 24nC is the answer. Its been wrong before, but not very often.

and about the nC, I was thinking it was Newton per Couloumb. Didn't even consider a nano couloumb... I will run with that. Thankyou

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  6. Mar 14, 2006 #5

eep

The units are definately wrong if that's supposed to be an electric field...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?