1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 questions concerning open and closed sets for sets having to do with sequence space

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    I have 3 questions concerning trying to prove open and closed sets for specific sequence spaces, they are all kind of similar and somewhat related. I thought i would put them all in one thread instead of having 3 threads.

1) Given y=(y[itex]_{n}[/itex]) [itex]\in[/itex] H[itex]^{∞}[/itex], N [itex]\in[/itex]N and ε>0, show that the set A={x=(x[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]\in[/itex] H[itex]^{∞}[/itex]:lx[itex]_{k}[/itex]- y[itex]_{k}[/itex]l<ε, for k=1,2,...N} is open in H[itex]^{∞}[/itex]

2) Show that c[itex]_{0}[/itex] is a closed subset of l[itex]_{∞}[/itex] [Hint: if (x[itex]^{(n)}[/itex]) is a sequence (of sequences!) in c[itex]_{0}[/itex] converging to x [itex]\in[/itex] l[itex]_{∞}[/itex], note that lx[itex]_{k}[/itex]l [itex]\leq[/itex] lx[itex]_{k}[/itex] - x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]l + lx[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]l and now choose n so that lx[itex]_{k}[/itex] - x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]l is small independent of k.]

3) show that the set B={x [itex]\in[/itex] l[itex]_{2}[/itex]: lx[itex]_{n}[/itex]l[itex]\leq[/itex]1/n, n=1,2,..} is not an open set. [hint: is the ball B(0,r) a subset of B.]

for question 1
    The metric for H^infinity is A,

d(x,y)=Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{i=1}[/itex]2[itex]^{-n}[/itex]lx[itex]_{n}[/itex]-y[itex]_{n}[/itex]l

so if m is in A, then I can enclosed a ball B(m,[itex]\delta[/itex]) of radius delta around m where [itex]\delta[/itex]=M[itex]_{k}[/itex]+1/2^k where M[itex]_{k}[/itex]=max{lx[itex]_{k}[/itex]-y[itex]_{k}[/itex]l, k=1,..,N} would that work?

For question 2,

in the hint, where it says to choose n, so that.... how do i pick n so that lx[itex]_{k}[/itex] - x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]l is small.

I know that lx[itex]_{k}[/itex]l≤ lxl, but you have a sequence x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex] converging to x, is d(x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex], x) ≥ d(x[itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex], x[itex]_{k}[/itex])?? If so, how can i use this fact to pick n?

for question 3.

From the hint where it asks whether the open ball of radius r around 0 is a subset of B. In this case, would i have to specific how large r would be so that the radius of B(0,r) would contains elements that are not in B. If so, how do i specific r. The minkowski inequality is not of any help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted