Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Space Parallelogram

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    i am given the (x,y,z) coordinates of 3 sides of a parallelogram how do i go about finding the 4 coordinate. do i find the distance between points using the same way to find vectors then try to find direction angles or something like that? because there is no slope or anything to compare too. Also any tips about geometry in 3 space would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2
    Could you use the fact that opposite sides of a parallelogram are parallel and equal in magnitude (basically, the same vector)?

4. Aug 4, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean, I presume, a parallelpiped, the 3 dimensional analog of a parallelogram. If you are given three vertices, then you know three vectors that form the sides of the parallelpiped. Adding the three vectors to one vertex will give you the opposite vertex.

5. Aug 4, 2006 #4
    Thanks HallsofIvy for correcting me. But i dont understand if im given 3 vertices i would only know 2 vectors that form the parallelepiped and one vector that is a diagonal of the parallelepiped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?