How Can I Find the 4th Coordinate of a Parallelogram in 3D Space?

In summary, to find the fourth coordinate of a parallelogram given three coordinates, you can use the fact that opposite sides are parallel and equal in magnitude. This applies to parallelepipeds in 3-dimensional space as well. By using the three given coordinates, you can determine the three vectors that form the sides of the parallelepiped and then add them to one of the vertices to find the opposite vertex. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind the concept of parallel lines and equal magnitudes when working with geometry in 3-dimensional space.
yourmom98
i am given the (x,y,z) coordinates of 3 sides of a parallelogram how do i go about finding the 4 coordinate. do i find the distance between points using the same way to find vectors then try to find direction angles or something like that? because there is no slope or anything to compare too. Also any tips about geometry in 3 space would be greatly appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you use the fact that opposite sides of a parallelogram are parallel and equal in magnitude (basically, the same vector)?

You mean, I presume, a parallelpiped, the 3 dimensional analog of a parallelogram. If you are given three vertices, then you know three vectors that form the sides of the parallelpiped. Adding the three vectors to one vertex will give you the opposite vertex.

Thanks HallsofIvy for correcting me. But i don't understand if I am given 3 vertices i would only know 2 vectors that form the parallelepiped and one vector that is a diagonal of the parallelepiped.

Related to How Can I Find the 4th Coordinate of a Parallelogram in 3D Space?

What is a 3 Space Parallelogram?

A 3 Space Parallelogram, also known as a parallelepiped, is a three-dimensional shape that has six faces, each of which are parallelograms. It is a type of prism that has a parallelogram base and top, with four parallelogram side faces connecting them.

What are the properties of a 3 Space Parallelogram?

A 3 Space Parallelogram has the following properties:

• It has six faces, each of which are parallelograms
  • It has 12 edges
  • It has 8 vertices
  • Opposite faces are parallel and congruent
  • Opposite edges are parallel and equal in length
  • Diagonals connecting opposite vertices intersect at their midpoints

How is the volume of a 3 Space Parallelogram calculated?

The volume of a 3 Space Parallelogram is calculated by multiplying the base area (length x width) by the height. This can be represented as V = bh, where b is the base area and h is the height.

What are some real-world examples of a 3 Space Parallelogram?

Some real-world examples of a 3 Space Parallelogram include:

• A bookshelf, with its rectangular sides and back forming a parallelepiped shape
  • A refrigerator, with its rectangular sides and top forming a parallelepiped shape
  • A shipping container, with its rectangular sides and top forming a parallelepiped shape
  • A building, with its rectangular walls and roof forming a parallelepiped shape

What is the difference between a parallelepiped and a regular parallelogram?

The main difference between a parallelepiped and a regular parallelogram is that a parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape, while a regular parallelogram is a two-dimensional shape. A parallelepiped has six faces, while a regular parallelogram only has two. Additionally, a parallelepiped has 8 vertices and 12 edges, while a regular parallelogram has 4 vertices and 4 edges.