1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Variable Linear Programming Question

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Omega Manufacturing Company has excess manufacturing capacity and is considering
    devoting its excess capacity to product 1,2, and 3.
    The production process uses three types of machines and the available capacity on the machines is as follows:
    Milling Machine: 550 hrs/week
    Lathe 350 hrs/week
    Grinder 150 hrs/week

Profits and machine requirements in hours for the three products are as follows:
    Catagory Products 1 Product 2 Product 3
    Profit 50 20 25
    Milling Machine 9 3 5
    Lathe 5 4 0
    Grinder 3 0 2

Sales Potentials for Product 1 and 2 exceeds max production and Product 3 is expected to sell no more than 20 units per week. Formulate the LP PROBLEM

I really appreciate any help I can get on the problem. I have been struggling with it for sometime and I have a couple more like it so if I can see how to solve this one I can work through the rest. Thanks very much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Formulating the problem means
    • Defining the problem variables.
    • Stating the objective function that is to be maximized or minimized.
    • Stating the constraints in the form of inequalities.

Start with the things I've listed. Doesn't your textbook show any examples of linear programming problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook