311.1.3.16 For what value(s) of h if y in the plane spanned

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the value of $h$ that makes $y$ in the plane spanned by $v_1$ and $v_2$ is $-1$. You can find this by solving the system of equations $h\cdot v_1 + (-3)\cdot v_2 = y$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{311.1.3.16}$

For what value(s) of h if y in the plane spanned by $v_1$ and $v_2$?
$ v_1=\left[\begin{array}{rr} 1&\\0&\\-2 \end{array}\right],
v_2=\left[\begin{array}{rr} 2&\\1&\\7 \end{array}\right],\textit{ and }
y =\left[\begin{array}{rr} h&\\-3&\\-5 \end{array}\right]$

ok I just wanted to get this posted before i have to go... but I am still ? on what spanning means

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Spanning in this context means that the vector $y$ can be written as a linear combination of $v_1$ and $v_2$. In other words, there exists some values of $h$ such that when you multiply $v_1$ and $v_2$ by those values and add them together, you get the vector $y$.

To find the value(s) of $h$ that satisfy this, you can set up a system of equations:

$h\cdot v_1 + (-3)\cdot v_2 = y$

This can be rewritten as:

$\left[\begin{array}{rr} 1&\\0&\\-2 \end{array}\right]h + \left[\begin{array}{rr} -6&\\-3&\\-21 \end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{rr} h&\\-3&\\-5 \end{array}\right]$

Solving this system of equations will give you the value(s) of $h$ that make $y$ in the plane spanned by $v_1$ and $v_2$. In this case, the value of $h$ is $-1$.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What does "311.1.3.16" refer to in this context?

In this context, "311.1.3.16" refers to a specific mathematical equation or problem that involves finding values of h for a given plane.

2. What is the meaning of "y in the plane spanned"?

"Y in the plane spanned" means that the variable y is part of a plane that is formed by a set of vectors. This plane is known as the "span" of those vectors.

3. How is this equation or problem typically used in scientific research?

This type of equation or problem is commonly used in linear algebra and geometry to determine the values of h that satisfy a given plane. It can also be used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to solve problems involving vectors and planes.

4. Is there a specific method for solving this type of problem?

Yes, there are various methods for solving this type of problem, such as the Gaussian elimination method or the use of matrices. The specific method used will depend on the specific problem and the preferences of the researcher.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this equation or problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this type of problem. For example, it can be used in computer graphics to determine the position and orientation of objects in a 3D space. It can also be used in navigation systems to calculate the position and movement of objects in relation to a fixed plane or reference point.