Exploring 3D Elastic Collisions: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of finding information and equations on 3D elastic collisions for a program involving 3D spheres with different masses, radii, velocities, and angles. The conversation suggests looking into analytic mechanics on rigid bodies and references a tutorial on 3D collisions in physics-based games. It also mentions the need to convert 1D elastic collision equations into 3D vector equations and potential complications with rotation of the spheres.
vip4
I am try to write a program with 3D spheres of different masses, radius, velocities and angles. Then use three dimensional elastic collision equations to find the spheres new velocities and angles. The problem is that i can't find any information or equations on 3D elastic collisions, only 1D ones.
Can someone please point me to where i can find this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
3D spheres are planar collisiosn...other 3D objects you will need to learn some analytic mechanics on rigid bodies. Chri Hecker as a good tutorial on 3D collisiosn in physics-based games that runs through the same theory...a little less clean(theory wise) but does what it does.

i don't think there should be any special rigid-body problems, since you're dealing with spheres...all you have to do is to change the standard 1-D ellastic collision equations into 3-D vector equations, i guess..

yeah its planar lying on the 2 vectors of motion unless of course your spherse are rotating which I've never dealt with(but happens in billiards though they are confined still to a 2D plane)

Thanks guys.

Related to Exploring 3D Elastic Collisions: A Comprehensive Guide

1. What are 3D elastic collisions?

3D elastic collisions are collisions between two or more objects in three-dimensional space where kinetic energy is conserved. This means that after the collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects remains the same as before the collision.

2. How do you calculate the final velocities of objects after a 3D elastic collision?

The final velocities can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. Momentum is conserved in both the x, y, and z directions, and the kinetic energy is conserved in the overall collision.

3. What is the difference between 3D elastic collisions and 3D inelastic collisions?

In 3D elastic collisions, kinetic energy is conserved, while in 3D inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is lost after the collision. Inelastic collisions typically involve objects sticking together after the collision, while elastic collisions involve objects bouncing off each other.

4. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the outcome of a 3D elastic collision?

The mass and velocity of objects play a significant role in the outcome of a 3D elastic collision. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy, which will affect the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

5. Can 3D elastic collisions occur between objects of different shapes and sizes?

Yes, 3D elastic collisions can occur between objects of different shapes and sizes, as long as the objects are moving in a three-dimensional space and the collision is perfectly elastic. However, the calculations for the final velocities may be more complex for objects with irregular shapes.