1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Geometric Algebra

1. Dec 13, 2003 #1
    Consider 3D geometric algebra. Let all points on a line be given by the parametrization x=tu+y, in which the parameter runs from minus infinity to plus infinity.

a. Show that for all points on the line we have
    x(wedge)u=y(wedge)u.

b. Show that the vector d pointing from the origin onto a point on the line, such that d has the shortest length, satisfies
    d. u=0.

c. Show no that this vector d is given by
    d=(y(wedge)u)(u)^(-1).

d. Given two lines given by parametrizations
    s u1+y1 and
    r u2+y2,
    where the parameters s and r run from minus to plus infinity.
    Show that for the two lines to have an intersection we must have that
    (y1-y2)(wedge)(u1-u2)
    is proportional to
    u1)(wedge)(u2.

I posted this because i wanted help first plotting the parametrization and i figured ill be asking questions about the rest of it later, thus i typed out the whole problem. I realize this plotting is hard to explain on an internet thread, but maybe some tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let's just deal with a first.

if x = u + ty

then wedging with u on both sides gives you...?

b is geometrically obvious by the triangle inequality amogst other things. Just think about descirbing the distance vectr from the origin to a point on the line in terms of travelling to the line first in the most direct manner then along the line

c and d are left to you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?