Solving Cable Tension and Moment Magnitude Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in rope AC, given that the tension in rope AB is 100lb and the magnitude of the moment about the origin is 1500 ft-lb. The position vectors and equations for finding the moments are provided, and the final answer can be found by adding the moments of AB and AC.
sapphire4770

Homework Statement

http://books.google.ca/books?id=nYR... you want the magnitude of the moment&f=false
The above link has a copy of the question. It is question 4.65 on page 144

If you can't see the picture here is the needed information:
pointA(0,8,0)-on tree
pointB(0,0,10)
pointC(14,0,14)

There is a cable from A to B with a tension of 100lb and onother cable from A to C with an unknown tention. If the magnitude of the moment about the origin(0,0,0) is 1500 ft-lb, what is the tension on rope AC?

Homework Equations

M=r * F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the moment is equal to the position vector *(cross) the force in cartesian form, but how do you express the 100lb foce in rope AB in cartesian form? Do i even need to?

Also to find the final answer I am thining you have the equation:

1500 = the sum of both moment forces

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sapphire4770, welcome to PF.
Position vector OA = 0i+8j+0k
Position vector OB = 0i +0j + 10k
Position vector OC = 14i + 0j + 14K
Vector AB = OB - OA. Similarly
Vector AC = OC - OA.
Now find the moments,

Thanks for the help, but I'm still kinda confused.

Ok, so the vectors would be:
AB: [0,-8,10] or -8j +10k
AC: [14,-8,14] or 14i - 8i + 14k

To find the moment caused by AC do i simply multiply? 100[0,-8,10]? Or do i have to split up the 100 lb tension into its x y and z components and find the cross product?

Thanks again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Find the vector OA. = 8(0i + j + 0k)
Find unit vector along AB and AC.
So the vector AB = 100/sqrt(164)[0i -8j + 10k]
The moment of AB about o is OAXAB.
Similarly find the vector AC and moment of AC about O. Since both of them are in the counterclockwise direction, add them to get net momentum.

1. What is the purpose of solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems?

The purpose of solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems is to determine the forces acting on a cable system, such as a bridge or a suspension bridge, in order to ensure its stability and safety. By calculating the correct tension and moment magnitudes, engineers can design a cable system that can withstand the expected loads and forces.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be calculated by using the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x and y directions must equal zero. By setting up and solving these equations for the forces acting on the cable, the tension can be determined.

3. What factors affect the tension and moment magnitude in a cable system?

The tension and moment magnitude in a cable system can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the cable, the weight of the structure it is supporting, external forces such as wind or earthquakes, and the angle at which the cable is attached to the structure. These factors must be taken into account when solving for cable tension and moment magnitude.

4. What are the main challenges in solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems?

One of the main challenges in solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems is accurately determining the loads and forces acting on the system. This requires extensive data collection and analysis, as well as considering potential variations and uncertainties. Additionally, the geometry and complexity of the cable system can also make the calculations more challenging.

5. How is technology used in solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems?

Technology plays a crucial role in solving cable tension and moment magnitude problems. Advanced software and computer simulations allow engineers to model and analyze complex cable systems, taking into account all the various factors and variables. This helps to ensure more accurate and efficient solutions, ultimately leading to safer and more stable structures.