3phase/1phase which to prefer?

• Thread starter kirancy
  • Start date
In summary, Scott connection transformers can be used to convert 3 phase into 1 phase or 2 phase. However, it is not always necessary to convert to two phase. Advantages of single phase, 2 phase, and 3 phase over the other are explained.
kirancy
which one is preferred 3-phase or single phase?
in scott connection we convert 3 phase to phase is it possible to convert to single phase?
what is the need to convert to two phase?
what are the advantages of each of the 1,2,3 phase over the other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework.

why do you think so?

Sounds like homework to me too.
Why are you asking these questions?
To answer your questions:
Single phase and three phase are both in common use. It depends on the application which is best.
The Scott transformer is usually used in converting 3 phase to 3 phase at different voltages. (My experience) The question is incorrect.
Two phase is only used for motors. Two phase is never converted from 3 phase. (Again my experience)
Advantages of 1 phase, 2 phase and 3 phase I will leave for you to find out. Most textbooks explain the advantages and you could also research it on the WWW.

I think a scott-tee transformer configuration can switch between actual 2 phase and 3 phase. When I say 2 phase I mean ACTUAL 2 phase, not 240 volt split phase which is common in the USA.

if we talk about the output power the power in 3-phase is more than compared t single,but there wiill be more losses in 3 phase than single so is single better compared to three phase

in scott connection the three phase can definitely be converted into two phase but is it necessary to convert

If you are using motors, three phase is better. (Three phase motors are better)
Three phase is also better if you are rectifying the voltage.(Less ripple)
If you have long transmission lines, three phase is better. (Lower cost for same power)
Three phase is also better if you have very high power. (Smaller conductors)

For the same KVA, single phase transformers are generally slightly cheaper.
Single phase wiring is slightly cheaper.
Single phase wiring is simplifier.

Scott connected transformers are rarely used.
If anyone knows examples of practical use of Scott connected transformers why don't you post it here.

Scott connected transformers are occasionally used by the power companies. The power companies want a tall thin transformer to mount on top of poles. They use a Scott connected transformer with one transformer on top of the other transformer. The transformers are connected for three phase in and out.

The preceding is the opinion of Carl Pugh and there are undoubtedly other Engineers here who have other opinions.

what carl says is the best explanation

kirancy said:
in scott connection the three phase can definitely be converted into two phase but is it necessary to convert

What kind of two phase is this? In the US it consisted of two phases 90 degrees apart. If your Scotish 2 phase isn't two phases 120 degrees apart, it's difficult to see how it can be convertede to 3 phase.

Phrak, do a search here on this forum about the scott-t connection. I participated in a thread that had some explanations but I don't remember exactly the details. I recall some links being posted that were informative.

Scott connection is mostly used in electric traction for conversion of 3 phase into 1 phase. They are also used for industrial furnace applications.

thank you one and all

1. What is the difference between 3-phase and 1-phase power?

3-phase power is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three alternating currents, while 1-phase power uses only one alternating current. 3-phase power is typically used for larger industrial and commercial applications, while 1-phase power is more common in residential settings.

2. Which is more efficient, 3-phase or 1-phase power?

Generally, 3-phase power is considered more efficient than 1-phase power. This is because 3-phase power provides a more constant and balanced flow of electricity, resulting in less power loss during transmission. 1-phase power can experience voltage drops and power loss, making it less efficient for larger applications.

3. What are the advantages of using 3-phase power over 1-phase power?

One of the main advantages of 3-phase power is its ability to handle higher power loads with smaller and more efficient equipment. This makes it ideal for large machinery and equipment used in industrial and commercial settings. Additionally, 3-phase power is more stable and reliable, resulting in fewer interruptions and downtime.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using 3-phase power?

The main disadvantage of 3-phase power is the initial cost of installation. It requires specialized equipment and wiring, which can be more expensive than 1-phase power. In some cases, 3-phase power may also be more complicated to install and maintain.

5. How do I determine which type of power is best for my project?

The decision between 3-phase and 1-phase power ultimately depends on the specific needs and requirements of your project. If you are unsure, it is best to consult with an electrician or engineer who can evaluate your power needs and recommend the most suitable option. Factors to consider include the size and type of equipment, power load, and budget.