Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3phase/1phase which to prefer?

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    which one is preferred 3-phase or single phase?
    in scott connection we convert 3 phase to phase is it possible to convert to single phase?
    what is the need to convert to two phase?
    what are the advantages of each of the 1,2,3 phase over the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like homework.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    why do you think so?

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4
    Sounds like homework to me too.
    Why are you asking these questions?
    To answer your questions:
    Single phase and three phase are both in common use. It depends on the application which is best.
    The Scott transformer is usually used in converting 3 phase to 3 phase at different voltages. (My experience) The question is incorrect.
    Two phase is only used for motors. Two phase is never converted from 3 phase. (Again my experience)
    Advantages of 1 phase, 2 phase and 3 phase I will leave for you to find out. Most text books explain the advantages and you could also research it on the WWW.

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think a scott-tee transformer configuration can switch between actual 2 phase and 3 phase. When I say 2 phase I mean ACTUAL 2 phase, not 240 volt split phase which is common in the USA.

7. Sep 8, 2011 #6
    if we talk about the output power the power in 3-phase is more than compared t single,but there wiill be more losses in 3 phase than single so is single better compared to three phase

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7
    in scott connection the three phase can definitely be converted into two phase but is it necessary to convert

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8
    If you are using motors, three phase is better. (Three phase motors are better)
    Three phase is also better if you are rectifying the voltage.(Less ripple)
    If you have long transmission lines, three phase is better. (Lower cost for same power)
    Three phase is also better if you have very high power. (Smaller conductors)

For the same KVA, single phase transformers are generally slightly cheaper.
    Single phase wiring is slightly cheaper.
    Single phase wiring is simplifier.

Scott connected transformers are rarely used.
    If anyone knows examples of practical use of Scott connected transformers why don't you post it here.

Scott connected transformers are occasionally used by the power companies. The power companies want a tall thin transformer to mount on top of poles. They use a Scott connected transformer with one transformer on top of the other transformer. The transformers are connected for three phase in and out.

The preceding is the opinion of Carl Pugh and there are undoubtedly other Engineers here who have other opinions.

10. Sep 11, 2011 #9
    what carl says is the best explanation

11. Sep 11, 2011 #10
    What kind of two phase is this? In the US it consisted of two phases 90 degrees apart. If your Scotish 2 phase isn't two phases 120 degrees apart, it's difficult to see how it can be convertede to 3 phase.

12. Sep 11, 2011 #11

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phrak, do a search here on this forum about the scott-t connection. I participated in a thread that had some explanations but I don't remember exactly the details. I recall some links being posted that were informative.

13. Sep 11, 2011 #12
    Scott connection is mostly used in electric traction for conversion of 3 phase into 1 phase. They are also used for industrial furnace applications.

14. Sep 16, 2011 #13
    thank you one and all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook