4 dimensional Levi Civita problem

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is that you need to express a relation involving delta functions. You tried looking at the wikipedia but you cannot make sense of that, and you have once covariant and once contravariant tensor. You are trying to solve a problem that is trivial if \alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau have exactly two different values, but you are not sure how to do it.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have the following relation:

[itex]\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\tau}[/itex]

And I have to express that via delta functions.

Homework Equations

I tried looking at the wikipedia but I cannot make sense of that :\
Plus I have once covariant and once contravariant tensor, and I'm summing over 2 indices.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would start with a few observations like these:

If [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have four different values, both factors in each term are =0.

If [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have exactly three different values, at least one factor in each term is =0.

What if [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] are all the same?

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I think I would start with a few observations like these:

If [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have four different values, both factors in each term are =0.

If [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have exactly three different values, at least one factor in each term is =0.

What if [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] are all the same?

The problem is, and I found the answer in Griffiths, introduction to elementary particles, that it says that the result is difference of 2 kronecker deltas, and in wiki rule there seems to be only product, unless they also use Einstein summation convection.

This two Levi Civita symbols contract in [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex], right, which will leave me with one Levi Civita?

I'm totally at loss here. It says that [itex]\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\lambda\tau}[/itex] is zero if any two indices are the same, and + or -1 depending on the permutation. So if they are all the same, shouldn't the answer be zero?

I still fail to see how can that help me with that number 8 rule on wikipedia :\

I don't understand what they are trying to say...

dingo_d said:
The problem is, and I found the answer in Griffiths, introduction to elementary particles, that it says that the result is difference of 2 kronecker deltas, and in wiki rule there seems to be only product,
Look at the Wikipedia identity again. The brackets on the lower indices denotes antisymmetrization. For example,
[tex]\delta^i_{[j}\delta^n_{m]}=\delta^i_j\delta^n_m-\delta^i_m\delta^n_j[/tex]
dingo_d said:
unless they also use Einstein summation convection.
They are using it. When you see a Levi-Civita symbol, you should always assume that the summation convention is used, unless they explicitly say that it isn't.

dingo_d said:
I'm totally at loss here. It says that [itex]\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\lambda\tau}[/itex] is zero if any two indices are the same, and + or -1 depending on the permutation. So if they are all the same, shouldn't the answer be zero?

I still fail to see how can that help me with that number 8 rule on wikipedia :\
Yes, if [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] are all the same, the result is 0. If they take three or four different values, the result is 0. These three observations tell us that the problem is trivial unless [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have exactly two different values. The idea is to keep making observations that tell us more and more about the result.

Do you at least see why the result is 0 when [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] have 1,3 or 4 different values?

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't aware of the antisymmetrization! I am learning general theory of relativity where we use only tensor notation, but our professor kinda sucks :\ And we never got to symmetrization, or antisymmetrization :(

I'm not quite sure about that last thing you asked :\

You mean only one Levi-Civita? Or two summed?

If you see any kind of expression that involves at least one Levi-Civita symbol, you can assume that the summation convention is used, unless they're telling you that it's not.

I forgot a factor when I was talking about antisymmetrization. I think the standard definition includes a factor of 1/n! on the right, like this: [tex]T_{[i_1\cdots i_n]}=\frac{1}{n!}\left(T_{i_1\cdots i_n}+\cdots\right).[/tex] So in particular, [tex]\delta^i_{[j}\delta^n_{m]}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\delta^i_n\delta^j_m-\delta^i_m\delta^n_j\right).[/tex]

It's not at all hard to prove that [itex]\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu \rho\tau}=0[/itex] when [itex]\alpha,\beta,\rho,\tau[/itex] has 1,3 or 4 unique values, so you should give that another try. If you think it looks like it can't be true, then post your argument so I can tell you what you're doing wrong.

I will try it, I have test in nuclear physics on Friday, so this will have to wait a bit :D But thanks for the help :)

OK then. I expect to see your solution here on Friday night then. :wink:

What is the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem?

The 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem is a mathematical problem in differential geometry that involves finding a covariantly constant tensor in 4 dimensions. It is named after the Italian mathematician Tullio Levi-Civita.

What is a covariantly constant tensor?

A covariantly constant tensor is a tensor that remains unchanged under parallel transport along any curve on a manifold. In other words, it is a tensor that has the same value at any point on the manifold, regardless of the path taken to get there.

Why is the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem important?

The 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem has applications in physics, particularly in general relativity, where it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. It also has implications in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and algebraic geometry.

What are some strategies for solving the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem?

One strategy for solving the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem is to use the Bianchi identities, which are a set of equations that relate the derivatives of a given tensor. Another approach is to use the Cartan's method of moving frames, which involves constructing a basis of vector fields on the manifold and using them to express the covariant derivatives of the tensor.

Are there any real-life applications of the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem?

Yes, the 4 dimensional Levi Civita problem has applications in fields such as general relativity, cosmology, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as in the study of fluid flow and structural mechanics.