How can I reroute multiple signals from a 4 pin connector using a relay switch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a relay switch to reroute electrical signals and power to different destinations, specifically for a 4 pin connector. The individual is looking for a device that can control the switching of multiple signals and power through a single connector. The solution suggested is to use a set of MOSFETs or a 4 pole double throw latching relay. The individual also expresses concerns about finding the right type of relay and suggests using a set of DPDT switches as an alternative.
@Next_Of_Kintetic, for the reasons you just discussed, I recommend you stick with your original latching relay approach.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Next_Of_Kintetic said:
Although, couldn't I use those as well to send signals to the relay board that you linked?
What the 3.3V pins? No, these are always at 3.3V. They provide power (up to 500 mA if I remember correctly) for attached circuitry e.g. this neat little real time clock module. You could use them to provide power to the relay board, but 3.3V relays are hard to find, you would be better off using the 5V pins: see below.

Next_Of_Kintetic said:
That's kind of the point I was making though. Because then what happens if I switched to the "NO" position last time before I turned off the 3d printer. If I also turned off power to the relay (or let's say a surge happens, power gets cut off), then the relay reverts back to its NC state. When power comes back on, wouldn't it remain in the NC state unless something tells it to switch again?
Yes: don't turn it off (I would power the relay from the 5V pins (2 and 4) on the GPIO connector so this was not an issue - you don't need a separate wall wart at all). I think recovery from a power outage is going to be more complicated than just having the Pi remember which feeder is feeding.

Actually forget about building it yourself, just use one of these: leave the jumpers off and bridge P25, CH1 and CH2 together (so that 2 of the SPST relays are switched simultaneously by GPIO 25).

Next_Of_Kintetic said:
Wait, and this is probably my overall confusion about the subject, but I thought the point of opto-isolation is to protect high voltage surges from other parts of the system from wrecking circuitry that is not resistant to that high voltage.
No, the principal point of opto-isolation is to prevent you from being electrocuted. It (or some other physical separation) is a requirement in the UK (and I believe in the US) when switching line voltages from a device with low voltage connections (the wires to the Pi from the relay box if this is in a separate enclosure) or exposed metal (the USB connector on the Pi if this is in the same enclosure).

Next_Of_Kintetic said:
I mean, do I not have to worry about a high surge occurring within the relay from say the wall wart and then "cascading" back to the Pi?
No, the wall wart already includes protection from line voltages appearing on the output, the same goes for the printer and its control lines to the feeders. You only need to worry if you are switching line level voltages.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late response, but I have been extremely busy this last week (what else is new).
And I will unfortunately have to put this project on hold due to various life related circumstances.

So, I just wanted to thank you all for all your help and responses.
As for what I end up doing eventually (if I decide to use a latching relay or a powered relay -- that is something I'm still not sure about at the moment). I might even seek out other possibilities in the future. Either way, just wanted to thank everyone again for all their help. I have learned a lot from these discussions.

If I end up coming back to this project, I will just open a different thread if need be.
Feel free to lock or archive this thread.
Thank you all again. Until next time.

Likes Tom.G
<h2>1. How does a relay switch work to reroute multiple signals from a 4 pin connector?</h2><p>A relay switch is an electrical component that uses an electromagnet to open and close a circuit. When a small current flows through the coil of the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that pulls a metal switch to make or break a connection. This allows the relay switch to control a larger current, such as the signals from a 4 pin connector, without directly coming into contact with it.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of rerouting multiple signals from a 4 pin connector using a relay switch?</h2><p>The purpose of using a relay switch to reroute multiple signals from a 4 pin connector is to control the flow of electricity and direct it to different components or devices. This can be useful in situations where multiple signals need to be sent to different places simultaneously, or when the signals need to be switched on and off quickly.</p><h2>3. How do I choose the right relay switch for my 4 pin connector?</h2><p>The right relay switch for your 4 pin connector will depend on the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. It is important to select a relay switch with a coil voltage and current rating that matches your circuit. You should also consider the number of contacts and their ratings, as well as the switching speed and type of connection (e.g. solder or screw terminals).</p><h2>4. Can I use a relay switch to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector in both directions?</h2><p>Yes, a relay switch can be used to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector in both directions. This is because the switch can be configured to either make or break the connection between the input and output terminals. By reversing the polarity of the current flowing through the coil, the switch can be toggled between these two states.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a relay switch to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few safety precautions that should be taken when using a relay switch. First, make sure to choose a relay switch with a suitable voltage and current rating for your circuit. Additionally, ensure that the switch is properly wired and secured to avoid any loose connections. It is also important to follow proper electrical safety protocols, such as turning off power before making any changes to the circuit.</p>

1. How does a relay switch work to reroute multiple signals from a 4 pin connector?

A relay switch is an electrical component that uses an electromagnet to open and close a circuit. When a small current flows through the coil of the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that pulls a metal switch to make or break a connection. This allows the relay switch to control a larger current, such as the signals from a 4 pin connector, without directly coming into contact with it.

2. What is the purpose of rerouting multiple signals from a 4 pin connector using a relay switch?

The purpose of using a relay switch to reroute multiple signals from a 4 pin connector is to control the flow of electricity and direct it to different components or devices. This can be useful in situations where multiple signals need to be sent to different places simultaneously, or when the signals need to be switched on and off quickly.

3. How do I choose the right relay switch for my 4 pin connector?

The right relay switch for your 4 pin connector will depend on the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. It is important to select a relay switch with a coil voltage and current rating that matches your circuit. You should also consider the number of contacts and their ratings, as well as the switching speed and type of connection (e.g. solder or screw terminals).

4. Can I use a relay switch to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector in both directions?

Yes, a relay switch can be used to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector in both directions. This is because the switch can be configured to either make or break the connection between the input and output terminals. By reversing the polarity of the current flowing through the coil, the switch can be toggled between these two states.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a relay switch to reroute signals from a 4 pin connector?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions that should be taken when using a relay switch. First, make sure to choose a relay switch with a suitable voltage and current rating for your circuit. Additionally, ensure that the switch is properly wired and secured to avoid any loose connections. It is also important to follow proper electrical safety protocols, such as turning off power before making any changes to the circuit.