Exploring 488nm LED Options for Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorters

In summary, there are a number of inexpensive LED sources that emit in the 488 nm range, though I don't know if they will be sensitive enough for fluorescence applications.
SupaVillain
Why can't I find any LED's at 488nm? I am trying to find a cheaper light source than the traditional argon ion laser for a possible fluorescence activated cell sorter. See link below for schematic. Does anybody know a good retail site for lights in this spectrum I can't find good results with google.

http://thebigone.stanford.edu/papers/Fu%20nature%20america.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SupaVillain said:
Why can't I find any LED's at 488nm? I am trying to find a cheaper light source than the traditional argon ion laser for a possible fluorescence activated cell sorter. See link below for schematic. Does anybody know a good retail site for lights in this spectrum I can't find good results with google.

http://thebigone.stanford.edu/papers/Fu%20nature%20america.pdf [Broken]
How well focused does it have to be? That is, if it has a significant amount at 488 is it OK for it to have quite a bit in the surrounding region of the spectrum and if so, how far away from 488 is OK? There are inexpensive LED sources that show a range that includes 488.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea, i mean i bet i can filter out the unwanted parts of the spectrum anyways but really I think for biofluorescence it shouldn't take much power. When i think of a laser and high power, all that does is burn whatever it's pointed at. Not trying to burn the cultures. I would much rather try out the cheap version than spend a bunch of money on something i don't really need. Can you link me what you see at 488?

Hm ... I was thinking UV spectrum at 388, not visible at 488. I can't see why you would want 488 if what you are looking for is fluorescence. To get 488 just buy a $4 "black light" bulb at a hardware store (but I don't think you'll get any fluorescence off of what you shine it on; at least I know that's true of wood)

1. What is the significance of using 488nm LED for fluorescence activated cell sorters?

The primary reason for using 488nm LED in fluorescence activated cell sorters is because it is the most commonly used excitation wavelength for fluorophores. This wavelength is able to excite a wide range of commonly used fluorophores, making it a versatile option for cell sorting experiments.

2. How does the use of 488nm LED affect the sorting capabilities of the cell sorter?

The use of 488nm LED does not significantly affect the sorting capabilities of the cell sorter. However, it is important to calibrate the sorter to ensure that the laser power and detection settings are optimized for the specific 488nm wavelength.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to using 488nm LED for cell sorting experiments?

One potential drawback of using 488nm LED is that it may not be suitable for sorting cells that require higher energy levels for excitation. In such cases, a different wavelength may need to be used. Additionally, some fluorophores may have weaker excitation at 488nm, leading to lower signal intensity.

4. What are the alternatives to using 488nm LED for fluorescence activated cell sorting?

Some alternatives to using 488nm LED include using other wavelengths such as 405nm or 532nm, or using a broad-spectrum light source. However, these options may not be as versatile as the 488nm LED and may require specific fluorophores for optimal results.

5. How do I determine the appropriate 488nm LED for my cell sorting experiments?

The appropriate 488nm LED can be determined by considering factors such as the types of fluorophores being used, the desired signal intensity, and the sorting capabilities of the cell sorter. It is also important to consult with the manufacturer or conduct experiments to determine the most suitable LED for your specific needs.

Back