Exploring Dimensions: The 4D Schrodinger Equation Made Simple

In summary: V(x,y,z,t)psi(x,y,z,t)##.In summary, the Schrodinger equation can be written in a three dimensional form using the laplacian operator, but it cannot be written in a four dimensional form.
moriheru
This is a rather naive question concerning the dimension of the schrodinger equation. If the Schrodinger equation can be wrtiten in a three dimensional form using the laplacian operator can it be written in a 4d version. I understand that the schrodinger equation shows the development of the state of a particle in time... as I said naive!

s3d1.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer you are looking for would depend on what you consider your four dimensions to be. Is it the space-time of special relativity? Four spatial dimensions? (Say, four particles moving in 1 dimension) Something completely different?

I meant a wave something along the lines of psi(x,y,z,t). Would that give me the evolution of the particles state in a 5 dimensional system?

Do you mean the time-dependent Schrödinger equation (TDSE)?
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z^2} \right) \Psi(x,y,z,t) + U(x,y,z,t) \Psi(x,y,z,t) = i \hbar \frac {\partial}{\partial t} \Psi(x,y,z,t)$$

When V is independent of t, that is, U(x,y,z,t) = U(x,y,z), the solutions of the TDSE are of the form ##\psi(x,y,z)e^{-iEt/\hbar}##, where ##\psi(x,y,z)## satisfies the time-independent Schrödinger equation (TISE), which you gave in your first post.

Yep...I mean can one expand the laplacian operator so that one has the deriviativ of x,y,z,t?

The Klein-Gordon equation ##(\partial_t^2 - \nabla^2)\phi = 0## appears in relativistic quantum mechanics and involves the d'Alembert operator - which in some sense is the relativistic equivalent of the Laplace operator. However, note the difference in sign between the tempotal and spatial derivatives.

In the non-relativistic limit, the KG equation gives back the Schrödinger behaviour.

Something like this?

(d^2/dt^2+d^2/dx+d^2/dy^2+d^2/dz^2)-(h/2pi)/2m psi(x,y,z,t)+V(x,y,z,t)psi(x,y,z,t)=?

instead of

upload_2014-9-28_17-35-41.png

1. What is the 4D Schrodinger equation?

The 4D Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in four-dimensional space. It is an extension of the famous 3D Schrodinger equation and is used to study the behavior of particles in higher dimensions.

2. Why is it important to explore dimensions?

Exploring dimensions allows us to better understand the nature of our universe and the behavior of particles in different spatial dimensions. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and string theory.

3. What does the 4D Schrodinger equation tell us about the nature of reality?

The 4D Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It tells us that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and their behavior is probabilistic rather than deterministic.

4. How is the 4D Schrodinger equation simplified?

The 4D Schrodinger equation can be simplified using various techniques, such as separation of variables and boundary conditions. It can also be simplified for specific scenarios, such as free particles or particles in a potential well.

5. What are some potential applications of the 4D Schrodinger equation?

The 4D Schrodinger equation has numerous applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing, where understanding the behavior of particles in higher dimensions is crucial for developing new technologies.