Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 positivly charged particles on sphere, min energy configuration, rel

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    Assume 5 charged particles (charge 1) constrained to live on the surface of a sphere are in a configuration that minimizes electrostatic potential energy. Are there configurations that are stable but that are not the minimum energy configuration?

A simple computer program could quickly(?) examine many random configurations and slowly map out the potential energy surface E(θ_1,phi_1,θ_2,phi_2,θ_3,phi_3,θ_4,phi_4,θ_5,phi_5)?

There must be more elegant(less computer time) ways to find the minimum energy configuration?

Has this problem been solved?

Edit, E above is a function of only 8 variables, we can always let one particle be at the north pole?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 2, 2014 #3
    Triangular dipyramid :uhh: Nice and symmetric, I should have seen that. Things probably get more interesting with larger numbers. From the link above check out a fun Java app at,

http://thomson.phy.syr.edu/thomsonapplet.php

Check out the screen shot and add a charged particle and watch the charges rearrange to I assume the lowest energy configuration. Still would like to know if there are stable relative minimum.

Edit, I think you have to hit the Auto button on the app to get the configuration to minimize energy?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. Jan 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nice find!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook