1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 positivly charged particles on sphere, min energy configuration, rel

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    Assume 5 charged particles (charge 1) constrained to live on the surface of a sphere are in a configuration that minimizes electrostatic potential energy. Are there configurations that are stable but that are not the minimum energy configuration?

A simple computer program could quickly(?) examine many random configurations and slowly map out the potential energy surface E(θ_1,phi_1,θ_2,phi_2,θ_3,phi_3,θ_4,phi_4,θ_5,phi_5)?

There must be more elegant(less computer time) ways to find the minimum energy configuration?

Has this problem been solved?

Edit, E above is a function of only 8 variables, we can always let one particle be at the north pole?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 2, 2014 #3
    Triangular dipyramid :uhh: Nice and symmetric, I should have seen that. Things probably get more interesting with larger numbers. From the link above check out a fun Java app at,

http://thomson.phy.syr.edu/thomsonapplet.php

Check out the screen shot and add a charged particle and watch the charges rearrange to I assume the lowest energy configuration. Still would like to know if there are stable relative minimum.

Edit, I think you have to hit the Auto button on the app to get the configuration to minimize energy?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. Jan 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nice find!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook