50 Hz vs 60 Hz and frequency changer

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, electronic devices in the US are typically 60 Hz while in Europe they are 50 Hz. For "normal" electronic appliances in a house, those made for 60 Hz may run slower when connected to a 50 Hz grid. However, if the appliance has an AC/AC drive, it may be suitable for both frequencies. The difference in AC mains voltage between US and Europe can also affect the functionality of devices in the other location. Universal switching power supplies can be used to overcome this issue. Some transformers and motors may not be built for multi-voltage, multi-frequency use. In the case of a Wii power supply with 240V and 50Hz specifications being used in a country with a network of 240
TSN79
Is it not correct that electronic devices in the US are typically 60 Hz, and 50 in Europe? Is so, I wonder about one thing; when talking about "normal" electronic appliances that you would have in your house, I always believed that something made for 60 Hz wouldn't work at all if you were on a 50 Hz grid. My company often installs pumps with frequency changers built in. These pumps apparently have their speed regulated by this frequency changer. Would it also then be true that an appliance or whatever made for 60 Hz would just run "slower" if it was to be connected to a 50 Hz grid??

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what type of "appliance" you are using.
If it is just an electric motor or pump it will simply run slower with more torque, but if there is an ac/ac drive you have to control if your converter is suitable for both frequency. Anyway, if you look at the data sheets you'll find the answwer

Also, the AC mains voltage is generally different between the US and Europe, and that is the more important reason that US (120Vrms @ 60Hz) and European (220Vrms @ 50Hz) devices may not work in the other location. It is possible to make universal switching power supplies that work across both frequency and input voltage ranges, however, and that is becoming more common for small appliances and devices (like laptop computer supplies).

Last edited:
berkeman said:
(22Vrms @ 50Hz)
220Vrms @ 50Hz

kishtik said:
220Vrms @ 50Hz

Oops, thanks for the typo fix!

If the motor made for 60Hz and used in 50Hz line, there might have some issues:
1. Assume the motor runs directly from line and has no converter. It takes 0.02sec to complete one cycle (one spin) for 50Hz line, and about 0.0166sec for 60Hz line. This means about 0.0034sec slower per spin.
2. If the motor has a converter or uses lower voltage than line (220vac or 115vac), it will denpend on how good the converter is. It will be OK if the converter has a good enough regulator. Otherwise, the motor will be slower tha expected.

The company I used to work for made instruments for sale in both the US and Europe. We built, and rated, everything for 115/230 VAC, 50/60Hz. Modern electronics can be built that way without any difficulty at all. Devices such as transformers or motors may not be built for multi-voltage, multi-frequency use.

Some transformers have multiple-tap inputs, to accommodate different input voltages (120Vrms and 230Vrms, for example).

I have a wii prower supply with the following specifications: 240V and 50hz and I will move to a country that has a network of: 240V and 60hz. I would like to know what are the consequences if I connect directy this power supply in the power network.
Thank you.

jou_josmar said:
I have a wii prower supply with the following specifications: 240V and 50hz and I will move to a country that has a network of: 240V and 60hz.
It will work perfectly well, simple switched mode power supplies don't care about frequency.
Just out of interest are there any countries that use 240V/60Hz?

Phillipines is a country with a network 240V/60Hz

by the way, thank you

mgb_phys said:
just out of interest are there any countries that use 240v/60hz?
usa...?

Phillipines is a country with a network 240V/60Hz

What is the difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz?

The main difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz is their frequency, which refers to the number of cycles per second of an alternating current. 50 Hz means the current changes direction 50 times per second, while 60 Hz means it changes direction 60 times per second.

Which countries use 50 Hz and which use 60 Hz?

The majority of countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia use 50 Hz, while countries in the Americas (including North, Central, and South America) and parts of Japan use 60 Hz.

What is a frequency changer and what does it do?

A frequency changer, also known as a frequency converter or power converter, is a device used to convert the frequency of an alternating current while keeping the voltage and power output the same. It is commonly used in international travel to adapt electronic devices to different power systems.

What are the benefits of using a frequency changer?

The main benefit of using a frequency changer is the ability to use electronic devices in different countries without the need for adapters or converters. It also helps prevent damage to devices that are not designed to operate on a different frequency.

Can a frequency changer convert any frequency?

No, a frequency changer can only convert between specific frequencies, typically between 50 Hz and 60 Hz. It is important to check the specifications of the frequency changer to ensure it is compatible with the specific frequencies needed for your devices.