Consequences of running a 60 Hz instrument on 50 Hz

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
R_k
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I intend to purchase an Alternating Pressure mattress from US which runs on 120 V, 60 Hz & 1 Amp.The problem is I would be using this in a country which has a 220 V ,50 Hz supply.

I understand that if I use a converter it's only going to convert the voltage from 220 V to 120 Volts but will not change the frequency. What are the problems I might face because of this ?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on whether there is a motor-driven compressor that runs on 120 v, or whether there is a power supply of some type that steps the voltage down to some lower DC source to run the pump. If the motor actually runs at 120 v, then there are a few possible side-effects of running it at 50 Hz. First, it will likely run 20% slower, and its capacity will be decreased, so it will have to run longer. Second, if there is a cooling fan attached to the motor it will also run slower, so the motor may well get hotter than it otherwise would. Finally, the current draw may increase somewhat, which also might cause the motor to overheat. If there is a DC power supply running the motor/pump, then most likely none of these would occur, as most power supplies are rated at 50/60 Hz. These are my best guesses, without knowing how the item in question is built. Hope that helps some!
 
I guess since it pumps more than 4 liters of air per minute it would be directly running on 120 V & not getting converted to DC.Though I am not sure.
 
NeuronsAtWork said:
If there is a DC power supply running the motor/pump, then most likely none of these would occur, as most power supplies are rated at 50/60 Hz.

Even in this case, wouldn't the transformer overheat due to 50 Hz frequency ?
 
Would running this at less than 120 V solve the overheating problem ?