Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

50th anniversary of Bell's theorem

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    A special issue on 50 years of Bell's theorem has been published in Journal of Physics with free access to all articles:

http://iopscience.iop.org/1751-8121/47/42

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for the reference. I'm sure others here will enjoy it.

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Lots of good articles, I love Bertlmann's :)

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I like the Maudlin's Reply to Comment.

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5
    Cool :)
    I bet this is going to generate new discussions. ;)

7. Nov 10, 2014 #6
    R. Werner just wrote a follow-up piece to that paper by Maudlin:

What Maudlin replied to
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.2120.pdf

8. Nov 11, 2014 #7
    Interesting! Can someone guide me towards an elaboration of "algebraic quantum field theory provides an example of a theory with full relativistic signal locality and clear violations of Bell inequalities." ?

9. Nov 11, 2014 #8
    Here is Stapp's paper on that idea:

Bell’s Theorem Without Hidden Variables
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0010047v2.pdf

I think the major controversial area still appears to be with respect to whether the Bell theorem includes 'realism' among its assumptions. Part of the difficulty may be due to delineating what one means by 'realism'.

10. Nov 12, 2014 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

A rather clear explanation of 'realism' is given in
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1212.5214 [Am. J. Phys. 81, 854 (2013)]:
    "Let us define “counterfactual-definite” [14, 15] a the-
    ory whose experiments uncover properties that are pre-
    existing. In other words, in a counterfactual-definite
    theory it is meaningful to assign a property to a sys-
    tem (e.g. the position of an electron) independently of
    whether the measurement of such property is carried
    out. [Sometime this counterfactual definiteness property
    is also called “realism”, but it is best to avoid such philo-
    sophically laden term to avoid misconceptions.]
    Bell’s theorem can be phrased as “quantum mechanics
    cannot be both local and counterfactual-definite”. A log-
    ically equivalent way of stating it is “quantum mechanics
    is either non-local or non counterfactual-definite”
    "

11. Nov 12, 2014 #10
    Thanks a lot! - looking at the date I likely have seen this one before, but a quick look tells me that indeed it elaborates on Bell's so-called "reality" assumption (which he based on E-P-R's earlier arguments), and which subtly goes beyond the standard meaning of "reality". In earlier discussions on this forum we (or just me?) could not get a good grip on that issue. "Counterfactuals" and things like that. Maybe if I study this (again?) it will be possible to get a grip on this!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  12. Nov 12, 2014 #11

Demystifier

Science Advisor

For a long time I was not able to understand how a physical theory can be non-counterfactual-definite (except by rejecting to talk about counterfactual definiteness), until I constructed my own model:
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1112.2034 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 10 (2012) 1241016]

13. Nov 12, 2014 #12
    This is the part that is confusing me. Aren't such pre-existent properties (e.g. non-contextual) already ruled by Kochen-Specker theorem? This is what I take Laudisa to be arguing where he writes:
    Non-Local Realistic Theories and the Scope of the Bell Theorem
    http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0811/0811.2862.pdf

14. Nov 12, 2014 #13

atyy

Science Advisor

One of the things I misunderstood about Bell's theorem is that I thought it rules out hidden variables which are relativistically covariant. Maudlin discusses that this is not ruled out by Bell's theorem in the first of his articles in this collection. The first time I came across this possibility was in Demystifier's work, which I originally thought contradicted Bell. I haven't studied the work well enough to understand if it is correct, but I think I now understand Bell's theorem well enough to know that the possibility is not ruled out. The other case that Maudlin cites is the relativistic spontaneous collapse theory which violates a Bell inequality.

15. Nov 12, 2014 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No. Kochen-Specker excludes properties which are both
    1) pre-existent before the measurement, and
    2) unchanged by the measurement.

Both KC and Bell agree that if 1) is satisfied then 2) is not. In other words, they both say that if properties exist before the measurement, then they must change by the measurement. But Bell goes a step further by proving that the required change must be non-local. That's why the Bell theorem is compatible with KC theorem, but also much stronger (and hence more important) than KC theorem.

16. Nov 12, 2014 #15

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree: a very well worded description. In case anyone has a hard time finding where realism or counterfactual definiteness is explicitly assumed in Bell, look after his (14). He adds c as another unit vector and references it an equation in which a and b are also present. The assumption is that a, b and c all exist simultaneously.

17. Nov 12, 2014 #16
    Demystifier,
    Do you think that Bell's theorem includes any "realism" among its assumptions? (And for "realism" you can substitute objectivity/classicality/counterfactual definiteness, etc.).

18. Nov 12, 2014 #17

morrobay

Gold Member

Can you post a link for (14) ? thanks

19. Nov 12, 2014 #18
    I believe DrChinese is referring to equation 14 of Bell's famous 1964 paper. It is after equation 14 where Bell introduces unit vector c. DrChinese has argued that is where Bell brings in "realism". But this is far from being clear. See:

http://www.drchinese.com/David/Bell.pdf

20. Nov 13, 2014 #19

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes I do. (In the paper in post #11 I substituted realism for non-solipsism and explained in detail how locality can be saved with a price of adopting solipsism.)

21. Nov 13, 2014 #20

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As bohm2 says, it is from the original paper. After a bit of manipulation, it becomes the more well known form presented as Bell's (15):

1 + P(b,c) >= | P(a,b) - P(a,c) |

There really is nothing to question about the realism assumption present here. There is a, b and c which must exist for this equation to make sense.

This is a direct representation of what EPR called the elements of reality, which they said did NOT need to be simultaneously predictable with certainty to be accepted as elements of reality (they said any other view was unreasonable). Bell is making this explicit by saying: they simultaneously exist even through they cannot be simultaneously observed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook