Making an Oscillator Bomb with a 555 for Left4Dead

In summary, The conversation discusses using a 555 chip to create a bomb-like oscillator with a slowly increasing frequency. The individual is seeking help on how to accomplish this and is directed to various resources and a website that calculates component values based on frequency and duty cycle.
Tesladude
Hi i use the 555 a lot and I am also a gamer.
in the game "left4dead" they have a bomb that has an occilator to tell you when the bomb is going to go off bu blinking slowly at first, like 1hz then slowely increasing frequency up to maybe 10hz over somthing like a 10 second span. Does anyone know how to do this with a 555?

Example

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tesladude said:
Hi i use the 555 a lot and I am also a gamer.
in the game "left4dead" they have a bomb that has an occilator to tell you when the bomb is going to go off bu blinking slowly at first, like 1hz then slowely increasing frequency up to maybe 10hz over somthing like a 10 second span. Does anyone know how to do this with a 555?
I don't have data to expend on a YouTube video ATM, but do you want the duty cycle fixed at about 50%, even at 1Hz?

wait, ok i completely forgot something.
I was messing around with the 555 trying to acomplish what I want but I have little or no Idea what the duty cycle is. I FEEL SO STUPID! lol is that saying the frequency will increase by 50% every 1 second or somthing?

Duty cycle is the proportion of each cycle that the LED is lit. 50% duty cycle means it spends equal time ON as OFF.

ok thanks guys

1. How does an oscillator bomb with a 555 work?

An oscillator bomb with a 555 uses the 555 timer integrated circuit to create a repeating electronic pulse that triggers the explosion of the bomb. The 555 timer is set to a specific frequency, and when that frequency is reached, the bomb explodes.

2. What materials do I need to make an oscillator bomb with a 555?

To make an oscillator bomb with a 555, you will need a 555 timer integrated circuit, a power source, a capacitor, resistors, a speaker, and any other materials you want to include in your bomb, such as LEDs or switches.

3. Is it safe to use an oscillator bomb with a 555 in Left4Dead?

No, it is not safe to use an oscillator bomb with a 555 in Left4Dead or any other real-life situation. This type of bomb is dangerous and should only be used in controlled and supervised environments for educational or experimental purposes.

4. Can I modify the frequency of the 555 timer to change the explosion time of the bomb?

Yes, you can modify the frequency of the 555 timer to change the explosion time of the bomb. By changing the values of the capacitor and resistors in the circuit, you can adjust the frequency and therefore the explosion time of the bomb.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making an oscillator bomb with a 555 for Left4Dead?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when making an oscillator bomb with a 555 for Left4Dead. These include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following instructions carefully. It is also important to dispose of the bomb safely after use and never use it in a real-life setting.