Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5th Aruban PF conference.

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    This is a call for participants in the 5th Aruban PF conference. A limited number of beach chairs have been reserved for this year's conference on one happy island. This is a tax-payer funded all-expenses paid trip. That means that I, the tax-payer, will fund the trip and pay all expenses for two lucky participants (my wife and I) . All others must make their own way down there. Here is a tentative schedule:
    Day 1: Relax
    Day 2: Relax
    Day 3: Relax
    Day 4: Relax
    Day 5: Day off
    Day 6: Relax
    Day 7: Relax
    Day 8: Relax
    Day 9: Relax
    I tried to fit in some time for the actual conference, but the only day open was day 5, and I decided not to deprive the participants a chance to get away from the packed schedule.

While down there, I will be working on my periodic table of the integers, a project that I work on from time to time, or periodically as you might say. The periodic properties of the integers when expressed in base 10 are well known. However, after finishing up a do it yourself project at home, I hit upon the happy thought that it might be well to consider the properties that arise from a base 9 representation.

See you there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Have a wonderful time!!! :grumpy: :wink:

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    I've started packing...now where did I put those integers I had left from last year?

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate when these conferences conflict with my teaching schedule and I can't get away for the conference. Then again, this one sounds absolutely exhausting with such a packed schedule, and I don't think I got my abstract submitted before the deadline. :frown: Drat!

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    The conference got underway Friday. So far I haven't been able to break away from the pool area to attend any of the lectures. I assume that all forum members are here, but I wouldn't know because I don't know what you look like. The outdoor solar powered tanning salon is the greatest. Well, I gotta go now, I think its time to roll over and do the other side.

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

Evo

You're pure evil jimmy.

8. Apr 20, 2010 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I thought that it was next month in Cancun. I'll try to stick to the schedule when I'm there though. :biggrin:

9. Apr 20, 2010 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Wow...what a great day to pull out my swimming trunks.

10. Apr 20, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I tried to get down, Jimmy, but was grounded by the snow storms over the weekend. Maybe next you can hold the conference in Old Orchard Beach. Normally, it's swamped with Canadians, but it's pretty quiet right now. You'd have the place to yourself.

11. Apr 20, 2010 #10
    I've been to 17 lectures and 2 buffets, still no sign of Jimmy. They did have a medi-vac team here just a bit ago, someone yelling{loosely translated} "man look like lobster"

12. Apr 20, 2010 #11

Evo

:rofl:

13. Apr 20, 2010 #12

berkeman

That was me. I think. :cool:

14. Apr 24, 2010 #13
    Overheard at the hottub, a man speaking with a child, perhaps a friend of his own child.
    Child: I'm ten years old
    Man: I'm four times as old
    Child: Wow! You're forty?
    Man: Plus two.
    Different child: Is that like 100?
    First child: I know 200 times 1 is 200.
    Man: That's right. Any number multiplied by 1 is the same number.
    short pause
    Man: Except for 0. Zero times any number is 0.

So far, he was the only PFer I bumped into that I could tell was a PFer.
    Gotta go, they're serving lobsters for dinner and I don't want to miss it.

15. Apr 25, 2010 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl:

That's what the guy's that I used to water ski with would say right before climbing back in the boat after a particularly rough fall called 'sitting on the wake'.

16. May 7, 2010 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

1st Cancun PF conference.

The 1st Cancun PF Conference starts in 5 days! Don't forget your sunblock. :cool:

17. May 7, 2010 #16
    I would like to go, but I can't. My topic would be "A methodology for achieving uniform effects of ultraviolet radiation on the epidermis." Carry on without me.

18. May 7, 2010 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I knew I forgot something. I haven't started my topic. :surprised

Hmmm. I need to thin down the list.

Projectile motion of polished stones in gulf oil slicks.
    Per capita consumption of alcohol at my beach chair.
    Blood pressure spikes due to second hand topless sunbathers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook