6 degrees of separation hypothesis: Do you believe it?

In summary, the original idea behind the theory is that any two people on Earth are connected by no more than six degrees of separation, but there is a problem with extending the theory to include everyone in the world.

Do you agree with it?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Tyro
This hypothesis basically states that any 2 people on Earth are connected by no more than six levels of acquaintances.

Physics news on Phys.org
I said yes, but there is a problem I see and that's isolated tribal people.

My understanding of this hypothe-
sis is that it only pertains to
actors in the film industry. The
premise is that any living film actor can be connected to Foot
loose
star Kevin Bacon by no
more than six degrees of separat-
ion. If you widen the parameters
to include everyone in the world
then I don't believe it holds true
any longer.

Yes, that's the way the original idea was developed. Some people try to extend it to everyone in the world, but I see that as a little rediculous.

I also heard something like, you can pick anyone in the world and they'll be at most your 29th cousin or something.

If you widen the parameters
to include everyone in the world
then I don't believe it holds true
any longer.

Remember you have a much larger space of permissible connections though; not just through actors that were in movies together.

Originally posted by Sunfist
Yes, that's the way the original idea was developed. Some people try to extend it to everyone in the world, but I see that as a little rediculous.

Actually, the Kevin Bacon thing came around way after I first read about the 7 friend connection. We were playing with this idea in the '70s. Kind'a fun, back then I was only 1 friend from the president of the US. (I Boy Scouted with Pres. Fords photographer, who also was married to a TV star.. that made everything easy.

I went to high school with Liza Weil, the babysitter in "Stir of Echoes." So that's TWO degrees to Kevin Bacon for me and three for everyone on this board. Think about how simple that is. It doesn't take much at all to connect almost everyone in the world to almost everyone else. The trouble is the few extremely isolated people.

Well, I am only 2 degrees from Dubya, so it is probably true for me, at least.

I'm only zero degrees away from Sunfist. Eat that you bunch of name droppers! I'm zero degrees away from the internet's famous Sunfist. HA!

Originally posted by Sunfist
I'm only zero degrees away from Sunfist. Eat that you bunch of name droppers! I'm zero degrees away from the internet's famous Sunfist. HA!
Sun-WHO?!?

Heh, that was just a joke, dude.

Actually, I do have a website, but I think we aren't suppose to advertise things like that here. Heh, even though there is nothing to buy/donate/etc there. Oh, plus, there is some bad language there sometimes because the other guy who writes stuff there has a potty mouth.

What, and I can't joke too??

NEVER INFIDEL! oh, um. Heh.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I said yes, but there is a problem I see and that's isolated tribal people.
Actually, didn't Kevin Bacon star
in a film where he brought basket-
ball to the Ubangi Tribe?

i'm 3 degrees from Saddam Hussein, mm it is a small world

i took part in an online experiment hoping to verify or disporve this theory of 6 degrees of seperation, i did my bit but have now lost the website so don't know how it all went.

it was pretty simple, you sign up as a target or finder, i signed up to be a finder, so they gave me the name, profession and city of someone who has signed up to be a target. so when you get it you think 'hmm, do i know someone in the same profession (perhaps they've heard of them through work) or do i have relatives in that city' etc and so you send the target's details to someone who you consider in a better position then you to know the person, and it goes on until someone receives this email and says 'geez, i know Joe Blow' and sends it to them.

i will go and try and find the website, i want to know if my person got found.

god i hate kevin bacon, ever since seeing footloose infact

hurrah that was easy, the wonders of google:

http://smallworld.sociology.columbia.edu/

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by steppenwolf
god i hate kevin bacon, ever since seeing footloose infact
That wasn't his best work, was it?
I really like him because I enj-
oyed the movieTremors so
much. He was also good in Hol-
low Man
and Sleepers.
I like actors who can be both
convincingly likable and hateable.

Last edited:

1. What is the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis?

The 6 degrees of separation hypothesis is the idea that any two people in the world can be connected through a chain of no more than six acquaintances. This means that if you were to pick any two individuals at random, they would likely know someone who knows someone else and so on, with a maximum of six degrees of separation between them.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis?

Yes, there have been several studies that have provided evidence for the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis. The most famous study was conducted by social psychologist Stanley Milgram in the 1960s, where he asked participants to send a letter to a target person they did not know, with the goal of reaching the target through personal acquaintances. On average, it took six degrees of separation for the letter to reach the target.

3. Are there any limitations to the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis?

Yes, there are some limitations to the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis. The original study by Milgram was criticized for its small and homogenous sample size, which may not accurately reflect the diversity of human social networks. Additionally, the rise of social media and online networking platforms may have decreased the average number of degrees of separation between individuals.

4. Do you personally believe in the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis?

As a scientist, I do not base my beliefs solely on personal opinions. However, based on the available evidence, I do find the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis to be a compelling and intriguing concept. It highlights the interconnectedness of human relationships and the potential for even the most distant connections to be linked together.

5. How does the 6 degrees of separation hypothesis impact society?

The 6 degrees of separation hypothesis has had a significant impact on society, particularly in the fields of social psychology and communication. It has led to further research and understanding of how individuals are connected and how information and ideas spread within social networks. It has also been used in marketing and advertising strategies, as well as in the development of social networking platforms.