Could 9th Harmonic Be Causing Noise on Local Telephone Company's System?

In summary: It sounds like the power company might be responsible. They might be able to mitigate the issue by installing a line conditioner.
WFO
We have a local telephone company complaining to our utility that they have noise on their system. We have investigated and found a fairly significant 9th harmonic on the power line. This seems to play havoc with phone systems.

What is a likely cause of a 9th harmonic? We are a rural utility with little industrial load. The area in question, however, has a lot of pipelines and cathodic protection.
I understand there are filters readily available. Where are they to be found and how much are they likely to cost?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a likely cause of a 9th harmonic? We are a rural utility with little industrial load.
What types of industrial load do you have. I would think it's coming from some type of equipment.
I understand there are filters readily available. Where are they to be found and how much are they likely to cost?
http://www.nepsi.com/pmfilt.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
The only industrial load is a 1200 Hp gas line pump, which does not appear to be the culprit (i.e., the harmonic still exists when the pump is down). The rest of the area is rural load.
The link was good, but I was looking for something the phone company could put on their equipment.

If you are very rural, the power company may have installed a line conditioner (step-up transformer) to combat voltage drop over long runs. There is one 1/10th of a mile from me. The power company had been trying to serve this entire road with a single-phase hot line and a ground, but the boom in housing out here made that a problem. I don't know if such equipment could induce such a harmonic, but that would be place to start.

Is the telephone equipment in a substation? You might to be able to use some type of optical isolation equipment but you are going to have to share a common ground. If the equipment is in a substation, have you looked at how well you're grounding?

1. What is the 9th harmonic and its significance in science?

The 9th harmonic refers to a mathematical concept in which a wave or vibration is divided into 9 equal parts. In science, it is commonly used in the study of sound waves and electromagnetic waves, as well as in the analysis of complex systems and patterns.

2. How is the 9th harmonic related to Ma Bell?

Ma Bell, or AT&T, was the first major telecommunications company in the United States. In the 19th century, Ma Bell utilized the 9th harmonic in the development of their telephone systems, which allowed for clearer and more efficient communication. This discovery greatly impacted the advancement of telecommunications technology.

3. Can the 9th harmonic be observed in nature?

Yes, the 9th harmonic can be observed in various natural phenomena such as the vibrations of musical instruments, the patterns of animal communication, and the movements of celestial bodies. It is a fundamental aspect of the universe and can be found in many different forms.

4. How does the 9th harmonic affect our daily lives?

The 9th harmonic plays a significant role in our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. It is present in technology, music, and even our own physiological functions. Our ability to communicate and access information through devices such as phones, radios, and computers is made possible by the understanding and utilization of the 9th harmonic.

5. Are there any potential applications of the 9th harmonic in the future?

As our understanding of the 9th harmonic continues to evolve, there is potential for its application in various fields such as medicine, energy production, and communication technology. Its unique properties and ability to divide complex systems into smaller, more manageable parts make it a valuable tool in problem-solving and innovation.