1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

9yr old 7th grader needs help!

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    I have a problem in my science book,we think the teachers edition may have a mistake? Can someone look at my problem and explain how to find the answer? I am home schooled, and like mom said, 7th grade was too many years ago!

Calculate mass: You push yourself on a skateboard with a force of 30N and accelerate at 0.5 m/s squared. Find the mass of the skateboard if your mass is 58kg.

We keep coming up with a different answer than the book. Can someone explain this so we can make sure we are doing it correctly?

Thank You!

<< personal e-mail address edited out by berkeman >>

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation is force = mass * acclearation or F=ma
    Since we know f and a and want m we have to re-arrange the formula this gives m=f/a
    If you plug in the numbers you get m = 30N/0.5ms-2 = 60kg
    Since you have a mass of 58.5kg the mass of the skateboard is the difference.
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    you divide 30n by 0.5 m/s and you will get ur anwser which you then subtaract 58 from and you will get ur anwser it will have this unit of measure kg*m/s N
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?