1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball is thrown above th house

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a question that I spent 1 hour trying to find a solution but I din't come up with any solution, so plz give me any hint you know to solve this problem.

The question is:
    You're 6.0 m from one wall of a house. You want to toss a ball to your friend who is 6.0 m from the opposite wall. The throw and catch each occur 1.0 m above the ground.

A.What minimum speed will allow the ball to clear the roof?
    B.At what angle should you toss the ball?

Help me with the first part only, I can find the second part by myself.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the hight from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The hight is 3 m
    but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    I'm online for any discussion

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    attempt attempt? show your so called stupid attempt, nobody is going to laugh at you, but we'd respect you for showing your work :)

i'm working on it right now, but someone who is better at physics might help you if you show some work

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4
    ok here is my attempt:

I found the hight from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The hight is 3 m
    but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5

hotvette

Homework Helper

Show us the equation(s) you used to find the height.

7. Sep 28, 2007 #6
    i found it using the graph in my book

I'll try to post the graph

8. Sep 28, 2007 #7

hotvette

Homework Helper

No need. Isn't the idea to use appropriate equations of motion (in this case for a projectile) to solve the problem? Or, are you suppose to just analyze the graph, which I presume is a graph of distance vs time? Remember the definition of velocity?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?