How Do I Calculate Time in a Particle Motion Problem?

• Thread starter miltonthedog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
Another method could be to use graphical analysis, where you plot the distance versus time and find the point where the graph intersects with the given distance value. In summary, there are multiple methods that can be used to solve this engineering assignment involving the motion of an elevator. These include using equations of motion for uniformly accelerated motion and graphical analysis.
miltonthedog
Hi, I am trying to complete an engineering assignment involving many parts about the motion of an elevator, I'm quite confident about the rest but am stumbling over the first part, can anyone help? I want to know what method to use to solve the problem (no actual answers please? just suggested methods)

- A particle constantly accelerates from rest from T=0 to time T, then constantly decelerates to time=2T, I have the value of distance at 2T as 350mm, how do I find a value for T? -

many thanks for any answers :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
One method for solving this problem is to use the equations of motion for uniformly accelerated motion. The equations are x=x₀+v₀t+(1/2)at² and v²=v₀²+2ax. For this problem, you can assume that x₀=0, v₀=0, and a=(vf-vi)/t where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity. Plugging these into the equations of motion, you can solve for t.

1. What is a basic motion problem?

A basic motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object based on known information such as time, distance, and initial velocity.

2. What are the key variables in a basic motion problem?

The key variables in a basic motion problem are time (t), distance (d), initial velocity (v0), final velocity (v), and acceleration (a).

3. How do you solve a basic motion problem?

To solve a basic motion problem, you must first identify the known variables and the unknown variable. Then, you can use the appropriate equations of motion (e.g. d = v0t + 1/2at2) to solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can basic motion problems involve more than one object?

Yes, basic motion problems can involve more than one object. In these cases, it is important to consider the interactions between the objects and how they affect each other's motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of basic motion problems?

Real-life examples of basic motion problems include calculating the speed and distance of a car during a road trip, determining the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air, and predicting the time it takes for an airplane to reach its destination.