Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bastion of stupidity

1. May 30, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No i'm not talking about yomamma's threads, i'm talking about this place on yahoo called "Yahoo Answers". You basically ask questions to people and people answer. So far I can see in the physics section.... 1 intelligent answer for every 40 stupid as hell answers.

For example, one person asked if theres a limit to the size of the universe and how did life form on earth. Heres some juicy nuggets that i see as responses...

"Yes---and---The Word {Prime theoritics / all that is is finite when compared to all else)--and by way of many ancient views and texts The Word (original Greek has this as first thought) relays that --with first cognition beginings were."

"think of it as numbers
    they start from nothing 0
    and never end"

"Space...being the lack of anything...extends forever.
    Life was created by God who set things in motion to evolve."

Even i feel smart around there...

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anytime you ask the general population a question that would be difficult for a professional physicist, who has devoted his/her entire life to the subject, you're going to get totally nonsense responses.

- Warren

4. May 30, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

5. May 30, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Makes you want to weep doesn't it?

~H

6. May 30, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Oh, mercy! I did a search on "penguins" and got this jewel. :rofl:

7. May 30, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well a lot of the questions are simple ones. I just happened to be reading that one at the time.

One here is.... "what is polarization". That got some funky answers.

I don't understand the ego of people. They think they can just give answers to questions they have no idea about? I feel sorry for the people recieving these answers...

8. May 30, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

9. May 30, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. May 30, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many people (maybe even most) are frighteningly unaware of the limits of their own knowledge. Really, scientists and those in technical professions are the only people who really must come to grips with their own limitations to be successful. Real-estate brokers, hairdressers, truck drivers, etc. can pretty much think they're Einstein, yet actually be total ignoramuses, and still get their work done just fine. Then they come home and publish absolutely moronic things on the internet.

- Warren

11. May 30, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, Penguin. I know you're offended, but I found this particular question very revealing in the way that people responded to it.

12. May 30, 2006 #11

dav2008

Gold Member

The Pregnancy and Parenting and Singles & Dating forums are just trainwrecks.

13. May 30, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha i love it...."What is black holes?" answer: "A single force of gravity so strong that light does not have the kinetic energy needed to escape its pull."

14. May 30, 2006 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is uterlly discusting, I feel physically sick now :yuck: . Whether or not it is an actual question or it is just some attention seeking weirdo is a matter for debate.

~H

15. May 30, 2006 #14

dav2008

Gold Member

Black holes and time travel seem to be crowd favorites over there.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmtVZMTER1VtfQcriXlIVjnzy6IX?qid=1006053006889

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/;_ylt=AqvDQ3jGqcwcTmIzWvtGDbMjzKIX?qid=1006041407113

16. May 30, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow if my imagination was a "source", i'd show these astronomists that the earth was 5 miles across.

17. May 30, 2006 #16
    It all is sad and funny, but I'd be quite glad to have an explanation of this in a logical English. I'm serious about having an explanation, for I can't understand a sentence.

Thanks,

18. May 30, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well... "Yes" is defined as "An affirmative or consenting reply". That's all i can explain.

19. May 30, 2006 #18

dav2008

Gold Member

I think the rest means "God did it"

20. May 30, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I didn't see anything that could have meant "did" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

21. May 30, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's as far as I got.

It's hard to tell how many of the blatantly wrong/bizarre/nonsense answers are written out of pure ignorance, and how many are some "kid's" idea of a joke. Some people will post anything just because they can. More sad than the answers are that people are actually trying to ask questions and might not have the sense to know these are not correct answers. They might look at that nonsense and just think, "Geez, that physics stuff is just way over my head; I don't understand any of it."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?