Computer Problem 72 Hours Later

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: Fourth, you should always use a reputable software to remove spyware/adware. Spybot Search and Destroy is a good choice. Finally, always back up your computer before making any changes.
majinknight
Hi about 72 hours ago i had a computer problem. From a site i normally always go to lots of people go and never have a problem, its this american idol forum, and well on the forum they say u can download previous episodes of the show to watch again. Me being stupid decided to do this as so many people do. They on the site say to download this idol bit torin, download this microsoft net talk or something like that, and then you can download the episodes. So i did this and after i downloaded the net talk thing the idol bit torin was not like noticing it so i thought i needed to reboot and it would. When i rebooted it first popped open a my documents folder so i exited it, ms dos, and this pop up which looked as if it was an ad from a website advertising a spyware remove program. The page had "your computer has spyware" in flashing bolded big letters and then saying "microsoft detects spyware on your computer and thinks you should download this program to remove it" so i exit the page. Then i am using norton 2004 and its popping up tons of windows asking to allow or not all these ports and such and windows explorer pops up a box asking to allow configuring sharing. All the windows confused me so i said no don't allow to all of them and then norton poped up 2 windows saying it found a trojan (something like ie.start trojan and considered low problem)and i checked and all the trojan does is change your start page, and that it deleted them and blocked them. So now after i said no to all those windows msn didnt work and i was so overwellmened and figured i have screwed up my computer so much downloading that thing that i unistalled the idol bit torrin and since msn wasnt working restarted computer. When it loaded back up it poped up this time the spyware ad, the my documents, ms dos, and the windows sharing configuration but this time no norton, this time i say yes to the configuration and msn works. I use spybot search and destroy and it deletes 14 spyware and i run norton and it finds 6 spyware it cannot get rid of because they are in use. So i follow the instructions on the how to remove page in regedit deleting everything they tell me too and then restart my computer and deleted all the spyware. Then i ran norton again it found 4 more and they all deleted fine without any problem except for 1 because it said it was in C:\RECYCLERS so i figured that was in the recycle bin so i emptied it and ran again and it didnt pick it up that time. The pop up ad poped up twice as i was deleting the spyware and emptying the recycle bin so i blocked both addresses in norton security so they wouldn't be able to come up again. Ok it has been 72 hours now and norton updated its security updates and found another trojan but this one was also on the low considered so much that it just deleted it off right away and i also downloaded Ad-Aware SE Personal and it deleted off a few adware that are pretty typical and none of any threat. Since i deleted all those things 72 hours ago i haven't had a single pop up, my computer hasnt been slow at all, and no weirdness has occured. So i am wondering if you guys would think my computer is all better now and back to normal?
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
First of all, the program is called bittorrent. Second, it is not legal to download american idol episodes since they are copyrighted works owned by FOX. Third, if your not experiencing any problems then you "should" be fine. That is not to say that there is still junk installed on your computer without your knowledge.

for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you were able to take the necessary steps to remove the spyware and adware from your computer. It's always important to be cautious when downloading anything from the internet, as there are always risks involved. It's good that you were able to use tools like Spybot and Ad-Aware to remove the malicious programs. It's also important to keep your antivirus software up to date and run regular scans to catch any potential threats. Based on your description, it seems like your computer is back to normal and functioning properly. However, it's always a good idea to continue monitoring for any unusual activity and to be careful with what you download in the future. If you do encounter any further problems, it's always best to seek help from a professional or someone with more technical knowledge. Thank you for sharing your experience and for reminding us to be cautious when downloading from the internet.

1. What caused the computer problem?

The most common cause of computer problems after 72 hours is likely due to a software or hardware issue. It could be caused by a virus, corrupted files, or a malfunctioning component such as the hard drive or RAM.

2. How can I fix the problem?

The first step in fixing a computer problem after 72 hours is to identify the root cause. This may involve running a virus scan, checking for updates, or troubleshooting specific hardware components. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

3. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

While some computer problems are inevitable, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening again. This includes regularly backing up important files, keeping your software and operating system up to date, and using a reliable antivirus software.

4. How long will it take to resolve the problem?

The time it takes to resolve a computer problem after 72 hours will vary depending on the severity and complexity of the issue. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours or even days, depending on the expertise of the person fixing it and the availability of necessary resources.

5. Could the problem be caused by something other than software or hardware?

While software and hardware issues are the most common causes of computer problems, there are other factors that could contribute to the issue. This may include power outages, overheating, or physical damage to the computer. It's important to consider all possible causes when troubleshooting a computer problem after 72 hours.