A book on arithmetic that doesn't treat you like a baby

In summary: However, they do cover the topics of order of operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, factoring, and properties of operations. They also touch on real numbers, rational numbers, integers, and natural numbers. But, they may not cover all the topics in the same depth as you desire. So, in summary, if you're looking for a complete book on arithmetic that starts from the Peano axioms and covers all the topics you mentioned in a lucid and succinct manner without any distractions or fluff, you may need to look beyond Gelfand and Euler.
Ankel
The state of arithmetic today is disgusting. The textbooks on it are absolutely repelling, the authors treat it like a subject that will be of concern to only babies. They don't show any love, they treat the subject like a dirty rug. It's been two years since I majored in mathematics, since then, I have been programming very wildly and would like to relearn arithmetic in a way that Leonhard Euler and Euclid would personally enjoy.

Arithmetic is actually very rigorous, there exist theorems on even the most basic of the components and it's a very beautiful topic, if you're being taught by the right author.

I seek a complete book on arithmetic, how old it may be, that deals with it in an elegant manner and covers the following topics;

And if possible...

What I am describing is a treatise on arithmetic and I do not want a book on Calculus because it covers some of the topics above in it's first few chapters. I want a book that deals with arithmetic only. And no, I don't want a number theory book. I have been suggested this many times before and the books are not at all elementary, they discuss many advanced topics and all I am asking for is the very basics, the very very basics.

The book also must:

1. Show why things are the way they are (why are they true).
2. Be succinct as possible.
3. Contain no annoying images and distractions (which are everpresent in 99% of today's textbooks on arithmetic)
4. Be lucid.
5. Contain zero fluff.

That's it! I hope such a book even exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
So on the high school level, you should look at Gelfand's Algebra book and Euler's algebra book.
If you are looking for a more advanced treatise, then you will have to start from the Peano axioms and work up from there. A good book that does this is Bloch's real numbers and real analysis. It doesn't quite cover everything you mentioned though.

Doe
micromass said:
So on the high school level, you should look at Gelfand's Algebra book and Euler's algebra book.
If you are looking for a more advanced treatise, then you will have to start from the Peano axioms and work up from there. A good book that does this is Bloch's real numbers and real analysis. It doesn't quite cover everything you mentioned though.

Do Gelfand/Euler cover up all the topics I mentioned, including equivalent fractions?

I have no idea what you mean with equivalent fractions since it lead to exponentiation. Do you just mean ##a/b = c/d## iff ##ad = bc##. Then yes, they cover this.

Euler is available for free online too, so check it out

berkeman said:
You might also enjoy taking a step back to the more basic foundations of mathematics, for example Peano's Axioms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms

:smile:

In my opinion, if you're interested in doing arithmetic in a very rigorous setting, then you have no other choice but to start from the Peano axioms. Gelfand and Euler both do not start from the Peano axioms.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of a book on arithmetic that doesn't treat you like a baby?

The purpose of this book is to provide a more advanced and comprehensive understanding of arithmetic concepts for those who have outgrown basic, introductory textbooks.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is individuals who have a basic understanding of arithmetic and are looking to deepen their knowledge and skills in this subject.

3. How is this book different from other arithmetic textbooks?

This book is different in that it assumes a higher level of understanding and does not use overly simplified explanations or examples. It also covers more advanced topics and provides a deeper understanding of arithmetic concepts.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

While there are no strict prerequisites, it is recommended that readers have a basic understanding of arithmetic and mathematics in general.

5. Can this book be used as a teaching aid in a classroom setting?

Yes, this book can be used as a supplement or primary textbook in a classroom setting, depending on the level and needs of the students. It provides a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of arithmetic concepts, making it a valuable resource for both students and teachers.