A book with unusual math approaches.

• Thread starter stefan10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book that focuses on developing problem-solving techniques in mathematics rather than just concepts, memorization, and plug-in solutions. The individual mentions having trouble with problems that require analytical skills and asks for recommendations for a book that can help with this. The other person suggests "How to Solve It" as a potential option, which the individual agrees to look into. The conversation ends with gratitude for the suggestion.
stefan10
I am looking for a book that develops problem-solving techniques which help develop individual and unique methods to approach mathematics. I find that if I see a problem type I am used to, I do fine in math, but when there is analytic skill required I have trouble finding a solution quickly. Are there any books that help build mathematical techniques opposed to concepts, memorization, and plug-in solutions?

Edit: By the way, my skills are developed up to single-variable calculus. Although they are not necessarily refined or perfected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if you mean something like How to Solve It. That's not an unusual book though, it's pretty standard.

Yes, I'll look into it. The description seems to be very close to what I'm asking for.

Thank you!

1. What makes this book's math approach unusual?

This book uses unconventional methods and strategies to solve mathematical problems, challenging traditional approaches and promoting creative thinking.

2. Is this book suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, this book is suitable for all levels of math proficiency. It covers basic concepts as well as more advanced techniques, making it accessible to both beginners and experienced mathematicians.

3. Can this book be used as a teaching tool?

Yes, this book can be used as a teaching tool. It presents math in a unique and engaging way, making it a useful resource for educators looking to spice up their lessons and keep students interested.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the math approaches in this book?

Absolutely. This book offers practical and applicable methods for solving math problems, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics.

5. Does this book only focus on a specific branch of math?

No, this book covers a wide range of mathematical topics and approaches, from algebra and geometry to calculus and statistics. It offers a diverse and comprehensive exploration of math concepts.