Will Dropping His Coat & Boots Help Him Slide Faster?

• Thread starter Moose100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary, the boy's strategy of dropping his heavy coat and boots while sliding down an icy hill will not work, as it will not increase his velocity. This is because, while his mass decreases, his potential energy also decreases, leading to a constant velocity.
Moose100

Homework Statement

A boy is sliding down a long icy hill on his sled. In order
to decrease his mass and increase his velocity, he drops
his heavy winter coat and heavy boots from (he sled while
he is moving. Will his strategy work?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv2
p=mv
mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since he is decreasing his mass his velocity will go up. B/c in F=ma m and a are inversely related. I.e. if I drop mass a goes up which increases v?? Instead the answer (multiple choice) says that it won't work b/c his PE will go down.

How does PE and KE allow for his velocity to go down? How does this relate to momentum. I get that a reduction in energy will reduce but it's not clear how it specifically relates to velocity. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

we have KE= 1/2 M* v^2 and P=M*v

KE= (1/2)(P^2)/M

Brown Arrow said:
we have KE= 1/2 M* v^2 and P=M*v

KE= (1/2)(P^2)/M

Ok but the question is specifically concerned about speed.

His potential energy will decrease as well, as PE = mgh. If he decreases his mass, his PE is decreased. Assuming no friction, PE = KE. If PE decreases, then it stands to reason that his KE will decrease, and thus his speed cannot possibly increase.

Ok that's what I thought. I guess what I was asking is what would that look like mathematically? Or is it more conceptual?
maybe I am being too picky:redface:

Mathematically I would argue it something like:

The total energy of the system must be conserved, therefore

[itex] \textrm{K.E} + \textrm{P.E}= \textrm{const.} [/itex]

[itex] \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}mv(x)^{2} + mgh(x)= \textrm{const.} [/itex]

The constant is arbitrary since we can define the potential as we like. If we define it such that the constant is zero at the point he looses weight then rearranging:

[itex] \frac{1}{2}mv(x)^{2} + mgh(x)= 0 [/itex]
[itex] \Rightarrow v(x)^{2} = \frac{2mgh(x)}{m} =2gh(x)[/itex]

Hence the boys velocity is not dependent on his mass.

That's what I thought too. So why is it important to consider his mass?:confused:

If the total mechanical energy is independent of mass, and specific kinetic energy is v2/2, will changing his mass affect his speed? (This question is equivalent to the problem...)

The answer to the problem says that he loses PE to the objects he leaves behind.

So he loses PE but the speed doesn't change?

jhae2.718 said:
Ok, have to admit I didn't fully read through this one.

Let's examine two points in time, with the coat etc. and after they are discarded. When we change this, we go from having a total mass M to some mass m, where m < M.

Mechanical energy (KE + PE) is still conserved, but mass is changing, as is velocity and height...so if you solve for velocity, what do you get?

The kinematic equation that looks like KE but indep of mass

Last edited:

v2=√(m1v1^2 +2m1gh1-2m2gh2)

Last edited:

Ok, I think I'm leading you down the wrong direction here. I used an expression derived assuming constant mass with quantities where mass isn't constant; I'm not quite sure why I went that way other than that it's a long day and I'm tired. I deleted the previous two posts I made under that assumption so as not to mislead future readers.
---

What happens is that when the boy throws away the coat and boots, the energy of those items leaves the system. The mechanical energy within the system is still conserved, but the total amount is reduced by the energy of the coat and boots which leaves (and goes to the surroundings).

So, the velocity is still independent of the mass and thus does not increase.

Last edited:

FAQ: Will Dropping His Coat & Boots Help Him Slide Faster?

1. What is the scientific explanation for why dropping his coat and boots would help him slide faster?

The scientific explanation for this phenomenon is related to the concept of friction. When an object, such as a person, is sliding down a surface, there is a force of friction that acts against their motion. This force is affected by the surface area of the object in contact with the surface. By dropping his coat and boots, the person decreases their surface area, which in turn decreases the force of friction acting against their motion. This allows them to slide faster.

2. Is there any evidence to support the claim that dropping his coat and boots would increase his sliding speed?

Yes, there is evidence to support this claim. It has been observed and tested in various scenarios, such as on snow or ice-covered surfaces, that dropping objects or reducing surface area can increase sliding speed. Additionally, the scientific explanation of friction also supports this claim.

3. How much faster can dropping his coat and boots make him slide?

The exact amount of increase in sliding speed cannot be determined as it depends on various factors such as the weight of the person, the surface they are sliding on, and the type of clothing and footwear they are wearing. However, it has been observed that dropping objects or reducing surface area can increase sliding speed by a noticeable amount.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to dropping his coat and boots while sliding?

Yes, there are potential risks and drawbacks to consider before dropping objects while sliding. Dropping valuable items or items that are essential for protection, such as helmets or knee pads, can increase the risk of injury. Additionally, dropping objects on certain surfaces, such as rocky terrain, can also pose a risk of injury or damage to the surface.

5. Are there any other techniques or factors that can help increase sliding speed?

Yes, there are other techniques and factors that can help increase sliding speed. These include reducing the angle of the slope, using a smoother surface, and reducing the weight of the person or object sliding. Additionally, factors such as wind resistance and the type of clothing and footwear worn can also affect sliding speed.

Back