1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A boy that jumps off a skate, v of the skate=?

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    A boy of 30kg is riding a skateboard of 4.9kg and both are going on with a velocity of 2.2m/s. In a moment the boy jumps forward, pushing the skate to the other direction. Immediatelly after the jump, the horizontal velocity of the boy in relation to the skate is 3m/s. Whats the velocity of the skate in this moment?

What I've tried to do:

Momentum before=Momentum after
    (mass of the system skate+boy)(initial velocity)=(mass of boy)(velocity of boy)+(mass of skate)(velocity of skate)

I think what im probably missthinking is the velocity of the boy, because in the question, he says "velocity of the boy in relation to skate", so i suppose, it would be: (mass of the boy)(3 + velocity of the skate)?

It sounds wrong, i dont know why XD

Can somebody give me a light here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    Hi frank! Welcome to PF!!

The question has given you the velocity of the boy relative to the skate. That means,

[tex]V_B - V_S = V_{BS} = 3[/tex]

So yes, you got it right!! :smile:

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    So can you check if im doing it correctly?

look:

(34.9)x(2.2)=30(3+Vs)+4.9Vs
    76.78=90+30Vs+4.9Vs
    -13.22=34.9Vs
    Vs=-0.3787m/s

EDIT: thanks for helping so quickly :)

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4
    Yep, your method looks correct! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook