A challenging statistical thermodynamics problem.

In summary, based on the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and given the temperature as a constant, the ratios of gases at sea level are 78.1% N2, 21% O2, 0.9% Argon, and 0.036 CO2. At the top of Everest, the percentages may differ due to the change in altitude, but can be calculated using the energy difference in the exponential of the Maxwell-Boltzmann formula. The percentages may add up to slightly more than 100% due to round-off error in the given values.
Remy34

Homework Statement

Consider the case of a gas in the atmosphere. Assume that the temperature is a constant. Based
on the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution, at sea level the atmosphere contains 78.1% N2, 21%
O2, 0.9% Argon, and 0.036 CO2. What are the ratios at the the top of Everest? (Molecular mass
of N2 = 28, Molecular mass of O2 = 32, Atomic mass of Argon = 40, Atomic mass of CO2 = 44.
Height of Everest = 8,848 m)Please walk me through this

Homework Equations

Maxwell Boltzman statistics.

The Attempt at a Solution

To tell you the truth, I don't even know where to begin. I posted this on a different thread, but it wasn't properly addressed (it was ignored for the most part). I was just wondering if you guys can guide me through this problem. It would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remy34 said:

Homework Equations

Maxwell Boltzman statistics.

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution gives an expression for the ratio of the number of particles in a given microstate, ##N_i##, in terms of the total number of particles ##N##, the energy of the microstate ##E_i##, and the temperature. The sea-level values that you're given are equivalent to the values of ##N_i/N## for each component gas. Can you try to relate these to the Maxwell-Boltzmann formula? What is the appropriate expression for the energy? What changes when we consider a different altitude?

fzero said:
The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution gives an expression for the ratio of the number of particles in a given microstate, ##N_i##, in terms of the total number of particles ##N##, the energy of the microstate ##E_i##, and the temperature. The sea-level values that you're given are equivalent to the values of ##N_i/N## for each component gas. Can you try to relate these to the Maxwell-Boltzmann formula? What is the appropriate expression for the energy? What changes when we consider a different altitude?

The trimester is over, and we didn't cover the statistical part of thermo in great detail (as a mater of fact we only began a week or so ago). This is supposed to be a challenge question. Any I thought that maybe as the pressure decreases so would the amount found at that height. But how can you relate it? Do you add up all the masses N and use it to divide Ni (individual masses)? As for relating the energy I am clueless.

Remy34 said:
The trimester is over, and we didn't cover the statistical part of thermo in great detail (as a mater of fact we only began a week or so ago). This is supposed to be a challenge question. Any I thought that maybe as the pressure decreases so would the amount found at that height. But how can you relate it? Do you add up all the masses N and use it to divide Ni (individual masses)? As for relating the energy I am clueless.

You really need to write down a Maxwell-Boltzmann formula at some point to solve this. Then ask what each quantity in the formula means and how you can relate it to the information in this problem.

##N## and ##N_i## are numbers of particles (in a unit volume), not masses.

If I have an object with mass ##m## at an altitude ##y##, what is its energy?

fzero said:
You really need to write down a Maxwell-Boltzmann formula at some point to solve this. Then ask what each quantity in the formula means and how you can relate it to the information in this problem.

##N## and ##N_i## are numbers of particles (in a unit volume), not masses.

If I have an object with mass ##m## at an altitude ##y##, what is its energy?

I think I see what you mean. You find the number of atoms (for example .036/44 times avagadros number), and then add them all up. That would be the N in the Boltzman-Maxwell equation. And the equation is as follows;

N/Z(e^-εj/kt)

I have to do that for each one, am I correct? First calculate N with the appropriate ε (lets say for CO2), and then the Nj (for CO2).

The energy would be m*y*g.

Am I on the right track?

And another question. Why do the percentages add up to more than 100%?

Remy34 said:
I think I see what you mean. You find the number of atoms (for example .036/44 times avagadros number), and then add them all up. That would be the N in the Boltzman-Maxwell equation. And the equation is as follows;

N/Z(e^-εj/kt)

I have to do that for each one, am I correct? First calculate N with the appropriate ε (lets say for CO2), and then the Nj (for CO2).

The energy would be m*y*g.

Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are on the right track, but you don't need Avagadro's number. The percentages are ##N_i/N##. You want to fix the coefficient of the exponential by using the values at sea level, then the percentages at altitude can be computed by using the energy difference in the exponential.

Remy34 said:
And another question. Why do the percentages add up to more than 100%?

It's a round-off error. Not all of the quoted values are given to the same decimal place.

Related to A challenging statistical thermodynamics problem.

1. What is statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems with a large number of particles using statistical methods. It aims to understand the macroscopic properties of a system by analyzing the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

2. What makes a statistical thermodynamics problem challenging?

A statistical thermodynamics problem can be challenging due to the complexity of the system being studied, the large number of variables involved, and the need to use advanced mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze the data.

3. How do you approach a challenging statistical thermodynamics problem?

The approach to a challenging statistical thermodynamics problem involves identifying the relevant variables, selecting appropriate statistical methods, and analyzing the data to draw meaningful conclusions about the system being studied. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying physical principles and the ability to interpret the results in a meaningful way.

4. What are some real-world applications of statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and materials science. Some examples include predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, understanding the properties of materials, and designing efficient energy systems.

5. What are some common challenges in solving statistical thermodynamics problems?

Some common challenges in solving statistical thermodynamics problems include dealing with large amounts of data, selecting appropriate statistical methods, and accounting for uncertainties and errors in the measurements. Additionally, understanding the underlying physical principles and being able to apply mathematical and statistical concepts correctly can also be challenging.