Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A chemical rocket

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    I have an idea of creating a rocket using mentos and diet coke, but the failure rate is really high. I also tried reacting HCL + Mg in order to create pressurized Hydrogen Gas in the bottle, in order to make the rocket thrust upwards. I also used alka seltzer in creating a potential rocket, but to no avail.

I would really appreciate if more ideas can be posted in this thread, of creating a rocket using some of the ordinary elements in the periodic table, or using things that are available (mentos, alka seltzer, etc).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    Look up "Matchstick Rockets." They are tiny rockets that use the pressurized gases of a burning match head to generate thrust.

Dry ice is a very reliable method of producing a lot of gas quickly, if you want to keep a soda-bottle, non flame producing design.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Wow, this takes me back. I remember making matchstick rockets with my friends 40+ years ago when I was a kid. We didn't have YouTube videos in those days, either, and I don't remember how we figured them out.

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Those where the times when we had no youtube, TV nor internet, but we had parents. I was shown how to make a matchstick rocket by my Dad.

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    What on earth is a parent? Could I find it on the Google somewhere?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook