A circular current-carrying wire floats in space....

In summary: The magnetic field from the current flowing in one wire will cause a force on the current flowing in the other wire, and the direction of the force will be opposite the direction of the current.In summary, the thin wire experiences little to no force when bent, and the magnetic field of the current loop does not appear to contribute to the force.
rumborak
Maybe there's a tiny battery somewhere, just to make it realistic. The wire is also very thin, and thus needs little to no force to be bent.

What happens to the wire? Does it twist on itself because each piece of the wire experiences a Lorentz force due to the magnetic field of the wire on the other side of the circuit?

EDIT: Just did some sketching, it looks like the forces point inward indeed. So, I may have answered my own question :)

EDIT 2: Correction, the forces point outward. That could mean it is self-stabilizing, since any part of the wire going outward (experiencing less magnetic field as a result) would require another one to go inward (experiencing more field).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rumborak said:
Correction, the forces point outward. That could mean it is self-stabilizing, since any part of the wire going outward (experiencing less magnetic field as a result) would require another one to go inward (experiencing more field).
I am not sure if I understand the scenario clearly. Is the force acting on the wire because of its own field?
The field of a circular current carrying loop looks like this.
images (7).png

It appears from the diagram that there is no field at the site of the wire.

In all the situations that I have seen before, where there is a force on a current carrying conductor, it is because of the magnetic field from some other source (e.g in dc motors, short circuit fault in transformer, PMMC, MI or EDM type measuring instruments etc.)

Yeah, I'm considering only the forces the wire exerts on itself.

Hmm, the pic you posted would suggest there is no magnetic field inside any of the wires. That's just a simplification though, right? There should be a minor magnetic field due to the magnetic field originating on the other side. Or is this one of those cases where everything exactly cancels out so that there really is no magnetic field inside the wire?

The way I'm imagining this is an extension of the classic "two parallel current-carrying wires are exerting forces on each other", only in a circular sense.

1. What causes the circular current-carrying wire to float in space?

The wire floats due to the interaction between the magnetic field of the wire and the magnetic field of the surrounding space.

2. Can the wire float indefinitely in space?

As long as the wire's current is maintained, it will continue to generate a magnetic field and remain suspended in space.

3. How does the wire's current affect its floating position?

The strength of the current determines the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the height and stability of the wire's floating position.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of current the wire can carry while floating?

Yes, there is a limit. If the current becomes too strong, the magnetic field will become unstable and the wire will no longer float.

5. Is it possible to control the floating position of the wire?

Yes, by adjusting the strength of the current or the orientation of the wire, the floating position can be controlled to some extent.