A Clarification on the Summation symbol

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof on the derivation of the Matrix p-norms and the confusion surrounding the splitting of summation symbols. The experts clarify that it is possible to split the summations and treat them as factors, and provide an explanation for why this is valid in the given proof. They also provide links to different webpages for further clarification.
relinquished™
Hi guys,

I know this may sound so "newbieish", but I really need some clarification. While resaerching over the net I came across a proof on a derivation of the Matrix p-norms. While reading, I stumbled upon this part of the proof:

[tex]

\| Ax \|_1 \leq \sum^n_{i=1} \left| \sum^n_{k=1} a_{ik}x_k \right| = \left( \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \right) \left( \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}| \right)
\quad (1)
[/tex]

I am confused when I came upon this. I know that

[tex]
\left( \sum_j a_j \right) \left(\sum_k b_k\right) = \sum_j \sum_k a_j b_k \quad (2)
[/tex]

But in (1), the [tex]b_k[/tex] term is given by [tex]a_{ik}[/tex]. Is it possible to "split" the two summation symbols into a product of two sums even though it's clear that [tex]a_{ik}[/tex] is dependent on both i and k?

All help is appreciated

Thanks,

Reli~

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Seems wrong to me. [itex]\sum_{i = 1}^n |a_{ik}|[/itex] doesn't make any sense, because k is an index variable for a different sum.

Was this found on a webpage? Do you have the link? It's probably just some typsetting problems, parenthesis where they don't belong (also an equality which should be an inequality), but it would be good to see the next few lines to make sure.

shmoe said:
Was this found on a webpage? Do you have the link? It's probably just some typsetting problems, parenthesis where they don't belong (also an equality which should be an inequality), but it would be good to see the next few lines to make sure.

Yes, this was found on a webpage. I was reading the part for the Derivation of the Matrix 1-norm (column sum norm) on this page.

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~gilbert/m306a/node6.html

Here, they state that

[tex]

\| A \|_1 \leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{i=1} \left| \sum^n_{k=1} a_{ik}x_k \right| = \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \left( \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \right) \left( \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}| \right)\quad

[/tex]

Here, they equated after applying the triangle equality, which implied that

[tex]
\max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{i=1} \left| \sum^n_{k=1} a_{ik}x_k \right| = \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \left( \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \right) \left( \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}| \right)\quad
[/tex]

I also thought this was a misprint, or maybe it had something to do with the maximum function. But then I visited another webpage just to make sure.

http://web.umr.edu/~hilgers/classes/CS328/notes/norm/node7.html

Again, in their derivation of the matrix 1-norm, it states that

[tex]
\|Ax\|_1 \leq \sum^n_{i=1}\sum^n_{j=1} |a_{ij}||x_j| = \leq \sum^n_{j=1} |x_j| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}| \leq C \sum^n_{j=1} |x_j|
[/tex]

They did the exact same thing - "split" the summation so that the [tex]\sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| [/tex] could be "factored".

I'm really confused. All help is appreciated.

Reli~

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine, and different from what you've written. Let me add some parenthesis:

[tex]\sum^n_{i=1} \left| \sum^n_{k=1} a_{ik}x_k \right| \leq \sum^n_{i=1} \sum^n_{k=1} |a_{ik}||x_k|
=\sum^n_{k=1}\left( |x_k| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}| \right)[/tex]

The second sum is "inside" the first, it still depends on k. Does this clarify?

shmoe said:
It's fine, and different from what you've written. Let me add some parenthesis:

[tex]\sum^n_{i=1} \left| \sum^n_{k=1} a_{ik}x_k \right| \leq \sum^n_{i=1} \sum^n_{k=1} |a_{ik}||x_k|
=\sum^n_{k=1}\left( |x_k| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}| \right)[/tex]

The second sum is "inside" the first, it still depends on k. Does this clarify?

Well, it is right, however, what I'm really troubled about is how they treated [tex] \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| [/tex] in the first website (OR [tex] \sum^n_{j=1} |x_j| [/tex] in the second website)

This is what they did after they "split" the summation"

Website 1

[tex]

\| A \|_1 \leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}| \\
\leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \max \limits_{j} \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}| = \max \limits_{j} \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}|

[/tex]

Again, for Website #2,

EDIT: Changed subscripts from k to j

[tex]

\| Ax \|_1 \leq \sum^n_{j=1} |x_j| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}|
[/tex]

Define [tex]C = \max \limits_{1\leq j\leq n} \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}| [/tex]. Then

[tex]
\| Ax \|_1 \leq C \sum^n_{j=1} |x_j| = C \|x\|_1
[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]
\frac{\| Ax \|_1}{\|x\|_1} \leq C
[/tex]

In both cases, it seems like they treat [tex]\sum^n_{k=1} |x_k|[/tex] like a factor. Or maybe... is it [tex]\sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ij}|[/tex] that they're treating like a factor? God... I'm confused >.<

Thanks for all the help,

Reli~

Last edited:
On website #1 they get to:

[tex]\| A \|_1 \leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}|[/tex]

Which you can think of as:

[tex]\| A \|_1 \leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| c_k [/tex]

where

[tex]c_k=\sum^n_{i=1} |a_{ik}|[/tex]

Replacing [tex]c_k[/tex] in the sum with the max (as k ranges from 1 to n) gives:

[tex]\| A \|_1 \leq \max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k| \left(\max\limits_{1\leq j\leq n} c_j\right)[/tex]

This inner max is not dependant on k or your choice of the vector x, so it can be pulled out of the summation sign and the max over the vectors x to give:

[tex]\| A \|_1 \leq \left(\max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k|\right)\left( \max\limits_{1\leq j\leq n} c_j\right)[/tex]

and [tex]\max \limits_{\| x\|_1 = 1} \sum^n_{k=1} |x_k|=1[/tex], so that's it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot shmoe. From you explanation of #1, I can see why they did the same for #2. Thanks alot! I appreciate the help!

Reli~

Related to A Clarification on the Summation symbol

1. What does the summation symbol mean?

The summation symbol, represented by the uppercase Greek letter sigma (Σ), is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms.

2. How is the summation symbol used in mathematics?

The summation symbol is used in various mathematical concepts such as arithmetic, algebra, and calculus to represent the sum of a sequence or series of numbers or terms.

3. What is the difference between upper and lower limits of the summation symbol?

The upper and lower limits of the summation symbol indicate the starting and ending points of the series to be summed. The lower limit is the first term in the series, while the upper limit is the last term.

4. Can the summation symbol be used in other contexts besides mathematics?

While the summation symbol is primarily used in mathematics, it can also be used in other disciplines such as physics, statistics, and computer science to represent the summation of a series of values.

5. How can I simplify a summation expression?

To simplify a summation expression, you can use various mathematical techniques depending on the type of series. For example, if the series is arithmetic, you can use the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series. If the series is geometric, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series.